Vizio smart TVs come with multiple input sources that allow you to connect various devices like gaming consoles, Blu-ray players, cable boxes etc. Changing the input source on your Vizio TV is necessary when you want to switch between these connected devices.
Table of Contents
Using the Remote Control
The easiest way to change inputs on a Vizio smart TV is by using the remote control. Here are the steps:
- Press the Input button – Locate the Input button on your Vizio remote. It is usually at the top of the remote. Press it once.
- Select input source – The input menu with a list of sources will appear on your TV screen. Use the up/down arrow keys to highlight your desired input source and press Ok.
- Confirm selection – The selected input source will now display on your TV screen.
Most Vizio remotes have the input options labeled for convenient identification. Common input labels are HDMI-1, HDMI-2, HDMI-3, Component, Composite, TV, USB etc.
Using On-Screen Menus
If your remote control is missing, you can still change inputs through the on-screen menus:
- Press Menu button – Use the buttons on the side or back of your Vizio TV to open the on-screen menu.
- Navigate to Input settings – From the menu, go to Input settings or Input configuration.
- Select input source – Choose your desired input source from the list.
- Confirm selection – The selected input will now show on your TV screen.
Tips for Changing Vizio TV Inputs
Here are some additional tips when changing inputs on your Vizio smart TV:
- If there is no signal on the selected input, go back and ensure your device is powered on and connected properly.
- Try different HDMI ports if one does not work properly.
- Adjust your device’s video output resolution if the input signal is not supported.
- Enable HDMI Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) for devices that support it. This allows controlling devices via your TV remote.
- Set the default start-up input if you want your TV to show a particular source on power on.
- Update TV and device firmware for compatibility with the latest video standards.
- Factory reset your TV as a last resort if input issues persist across devices and ports.
Why Change Inputs on a Vizio Smart TV?
There are several reasons you may need to change input source on your Vizio TV:
- Switch between devices – Select the input source for your cable box, gaming console, Blu-ray player etc to display its video/audio signal.
- Resolve display issues – Change inputs if you experience problems like no signal, flickering video or audio problems to troubleshoot device connections.
- Reduce smart TV usage – Switching to a specific input bypasses the Vizio SmartCast interface for a more responsive, device-focused experience.
- Enable advanced features – Certain devices work better on particular ports with HDMI CEC, variable refresh rate etc.
- Set default input – Configure the TV to show your preferred input like cable TV or game console whenever it is powered on.
So in summary, changing the input source is a common requirement for Vizio Smart TV owners to enhance functionality, resolve display issues or customize preferences. Following the remote control and on-screen menu instructions outlined above makes input switching easy.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Why does my Vizio TV keep changing inputs automatically?
A: This usually happens if the “Auto detect input” option is enabled under your TV’s input settings. Turn this off and manually select inputs instead.
Q: Why is there no signal when I change inputs on my Vizio TV?
A: Check that the connected device like your Blu-ray player is powered on. Also ensure cables are securely inserted into the correct ports, and that your device’s video resolution matches the TV input’s supported settings.
Q: How do I set the default start-up input on my Vizio Smart TV?
A: Go to Menu > System > Input at Power On and select your desired default input source. This could be HDMI-1 for your cable box or HDMI-2 for your games console.
Q: What input options are available on Vizio smart TVs?
A: Common input sources are – HDMI ports (HDMI 1-5), Component, Composite, TV (coaxial), USB. Newer models may also have Bluetooth, Ethernet, Optical and Analog Audio inputs. Refer to your TV guide for specifics.
Q: Can I rename the input sources on my Vizio television?
A: Yes, Vizio TVs allow you to customize the names for each input source for easy identification. Access the input settings from the on-screen menu and edit names as needed.