Resetting your iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus to factory settings can help improve device performance, prepare it for resale, or wipe your personal data before donating or recycling it. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to factory reset an iPhone 7 or 7 Plus.
Table of Contents
Back Up Your Data
Before resetting your iPhone, it is important to back up your data so you can restore it later if needed. Here are your options for backing up:
- iCloud Backup – Go to Settings > Your Name > iCloud > iCloud Backup and turn on iCloud Backup. Connect your device to power and WiFi to back up.
- iTunes Backup – Connect your iPhone to your computer via USB cable. Open iTunes, select your device, then click Summary > Back Up Now.
Reset Using iPhone Settings
Resetting your iPhone using the Settings app is quick and easy:
- Open the Settings app
- Tap General
- Scroll down and tap Reset
- Tap Erase All Content and Settings
- Enter your passcode if prompted
- Tap Erase to confirm
Your iPhone will reset to factory default settings, wiping all your personal data in the process.
Reset Using iTunes
You can also reset your iPhone by putting it into recovery mode and restoring via iTunes on your computer:
- Connect your iPhone to your computer via USB cable and open iTunes
- Hold down the Sleep/Wake and Volume Down buttons until you see the recovery mode screen
- When prompted, click Restore in iTunes
- Your iPhone will exit recovery mode and iTunes will download software for your device
- Once the software is installed, you can set up your iPhone as new or restore from a backup
Reset Using Find My iPhone
If you have Find My iPhone enabled for your device, you can remotely wipe it using iCloud:
- On a computer, go to iCloud.com and log in
- Click Find iPhone
- Select your device
- Click Erase iPhone and confirm your passcode
Your iPhone will be reset to factory settings remotely.
After Resetting Your iPhone
Once your iPhone 7 or 7 Plus has been reset, you will need to:
- Set up your device from scratch, or restore from an iCloud or iTunes backup
- Sign in with your Apple ID to redownload apps and media purchases
- Sync contacts, calendars, and other data from iCloud or your computer
Resetting your iPhone will delete all data, so be sure to back up anything important before starting the reset process.
Here are some troubleshooting tips if you encounter issues resetting your iPhone:
- Make sure you have the passcode or Apple ID password before resetting
- Connect your device to power and WiFi during remote wipe
- Put your iPhone into recovery mode if you can’t reset via Settings
- Use iTunes to force a restore if remote wipe unsuccessful
- Contact Apple support if you can’t factory reset by any method
Taking the proper precautions and following the step-by-step guides above will allow you to smoothly factory reset your iPhone 7 or 7 Plus. Be sure to fully back up your data first and have your passwords handy.
- Back up important data before resetting your iPhone
- Use iPhone Settings, iTunes, or Find My iPhone to factory reset
- Restore from backup or set up as new after reset completes
- Troubleshoot with recovery mode, iTunes restore, or Apple Support
Factory resetting your iPhone 7 or 7 Plus clears all data and restores it to original factory settings. This can help resolve issues, wipe your personal information before selling or donating, or simply give you a fresh start on your iPhone. Just be sure to fully back up first and have your passwords ready before resetting.