Getting a black screen when you try to turn on your TCL Roku TV can be incredibly frustrating. However, there are several troubleshooting steps you can try to get your TV working again.
Table of Contents
Check the Power Cord and Outlet
A loose power cord or faulty outlet could prevent your TCL TV from turning on properly.
- Make sure both ends of the power cord are securely plugged in – to the TV and wall outlet. Jiggle the cords to ensure there isn’t a loose connection.
- Try using a different power outlet, preferably one you know works properly. This will help determine if the issue is with the cord or outlet.
- Inspect the power cord for any frays or exposed wiring and replace if damaged.
Power Cycle the TV
Power cycling often resolves startup issues with electronic devices.
- Unplug the TCL TV from the power source and wait 60 seconds.
- Press and hold the power button on the TV for 10 seconds to discharge any residual power.
- Plug the TV back in, power it on, and see if the issue is resolved.
Check Remote and Cables
Issues with your remote, HDMI cables, or other connected devices could prevent your TCL Roku TV from powering on.
- Replace remote batteries or sync remote to TV (press sync button on remote and TV)
- Reseat all cables connected to TV inputs/outputs
- Disconnect all devices except power cord and try turning TV on
Reset Your TV
If the above steps don’t work, resetting your TV to factory default settings might resolve the power issue.
Caution: Resetting deletes all personal settings/data.
- From Settings menu choose System > Advanced system settings > Factory reset
- If TV won’t power on, there is also a reset pinhole button on the TV’s rear panel. Press and hold for 15-20 seconds with TV powered off.
Contact TCL Support
If you are still unable to get your TCL Roku TV to power on after trying the above troubleshooting, it’s time to contact TCL.
- Call TCL support at 1-877-300-8837
- Start a support ticket on TCL’s website
- Schedule service through TCL’s repair services
TCL can help diagnose the specific issue with your TV and the best way to resolve it.
Common Power Issues with TCL Roku TVs
Below are some of the most common power problems that can prevent a TCL TV from turning on:
Faulty Power Supply Board
The power supply board distributes electricity to components throughout the TV. If it’s damaged, the TV won’t turn on. Replacing the board should resolve this.
LED backlights provide the illumination for the TV display. If the backlights fail for some reason, the TV will power on but not show a picture.
Bad Ribbon Cable
Ribbon cables connect electronic boards within the TV. If damaged, ribbon cables can disrupt power and should be replaced.
Sometimes a buggy firmware update or software glitch can cause startup/power issues. Resetting or updating software may fix this.
A power surge, spike, or fluctuation during an electrical storm can damage TV components leading to power problems.
Preventing TCL TV Power Issues
Here are some tips to help avoid startup/power issues with your TCL Roku TV in the future:
- Use a surge protector to guard against power surges
- Keep the TV away from environmental hazards like moisture, dust, extreme temps
- Ensure the TV has proper ventilation to prevent overheating
- Install firmware updates when available to maintain optimal software
- Unplug TV before storms to protect from power fluctuations
I hope this comprehensive guide gives you everything you need to get your TCL TV powered on again! Let me know if you have any other questions.