Sony Bravia smart TVs use either the Android TV operating system or Sony’s own proprietary software. Updating apps on your Bravia TV ensures you have the latest features and fixes for any bugs or issues. Here’s how to manually update apps on both types of Sony Bravia smart TVs.
Table of Contents
Android TV Bravia Models
If your Sony Bravia runs on Android TV, updating apps is simple. Here are the steps:
1. Check Your Auto-Update Settings
Press the Home button on your remote and go to Settings > Apps. Select Google Play Store and choose Settings > Auto-update apps. Make sure this is disabled so apps do not automatically update.
2. Open the Play Store App
From the Home screen, open the Google Play Store app.
3. Go to My Apps
In the Play Store, select My Apps from the side menu. This shows all apps installed on your TV from the Play Store (not preloaded apps).
4. Manually Update Apps
You have two options here:
- Select individual apps you want to update and choose Update.
- Select the Update All option to manually update all apps if newer versions are available.
And that’s it! The selected apps will now manually update to the latest versions.
Non-Android TV Models
If your Bravia TV does not run Android TV, updating apps requires a few extra steps.
1. Check for Updates
Press the Home button and go to Settings > Product Support > System Software Update > Software Update. This will check for any new updates.
2. Download Updates
If updates are available, download them to a USB flash drive connected to a computer from Sony’s support site.
3. Install the Updates
With the software update file on a USB drive, insert it into your Bravia TV. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation process.
4. Update Apps Individually
Once the system software is updated, you can manually update individual apps. Go to Home > Apps and select the app you want to update. If an update is available, it will give you the option to install it.
Tips for Updating Bravia Apps
Here are some additional tips for updating apps on your Sony Bravia smart TV:
- Update apps one at a time instead of all at once. This prevents the TV from getting overloaded.
- Delete unused apps to free up storage space for new app updates.
- Check apps like Netflix, YouTube, Disney+, and Hulu frequently as they are updated often.
- Set your TV to automatically install future updates for convenience. Just re-enable auto-updates in the Play Store settings.
Keeping your Sony Bravia TV apps manually updated ensures you have access to the latest features. It also fixes any bugs that may develop over time. Follow these simple steps to update apps on both Android and non-Android models.