Sharing your screen is an essential part of most Webex meetings, allowing you to present slides, documents, videos, and more to meeting participants. However, when sharing video content, you’ll also want to share the audio so everyone can hear it properly.
Sharing audio along with your screen is easy in Webex once you know how. In this comprehensive guide, I’ll walk you through the steps for sharing your screen with audio on Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android devices.
Table of Contents
Enabling Audio Sharing in Webex Meetings
The first thing you need to do is enable audio sharing in your Webex settings. Here’s how:
On Windows and Mac:
- Open the Webex Meetings desktop app
- Click “Share Screen”
- Check the box next to “Share Computer Sound”
- Select the screen or application window you want to share
- Click “Share”
On iOS and Android:
- Open the Webex mobile app
- Tap the “Share” icon
- Select “Optimize for Motion and Video”
- Check the box next to “Include Audio”
- Choose the screen or app you want to share
- Tap “Share”
By default, Webex will optimize your screen sharing for clear text and images. Enabling the “Optimize for Motion and Video” and “Include Audio” options ensures smooth video playback and audio sharing.
Best Practices for Sharing Audio
To ensure great audio quality during your Webex meetings, follow these tips:
- Close unused apps – Streaming audio takes bandwidth, so close any unused apps and browser tabs.
- Use wired internet – Wired internet is more reliable than WiFi for consistent call quality.
- Limit background noise – Mute yourself when not speaking to eliminate background noise. Encourage others to do the same.
- Position microphone properly – Make sure your microphone isn’t too far away or muffled.
- Adjust volume – Ask participants if your audio level is too low or too high and make adjustments as needed.
Troubleshooting Audio Sharing Issues
If participants can’t hear your shared audio, try these troubleshooting tips:
- Confirm “Share Computer Sound” is enabled in your sharing options
- Try a wired headset instead of speakers
- Restart the Webex Meetings app
- Rejoin the meeting
- Switch to phone audio if issues persist
Also confirm with participants that their volume is turned up and headphones are plugged in properly on their end.
Sharing Video Files
To share a video file like an MP4 or MOV:
- Upload the video to a cloud storage service like OneDrive
- Share your screen in Webex
- Open the cloud storage app and play the video
- Make sure “Share Computer Sound” is enabled
This approach avoids performance issues that can occur when trying to share videos directly from your hard drive. For the best experience, upload videos to cloud storage ahead of your meeting.
Webex makes it easy for meeting participants to annotate your shared screens using the built-in whiteboard tools. As the presenter, you can enable attendee annotations before sharing your screen.
Here’s how to allow participants to annotate your shared content:
- Click “Share Screen”
- Select “Allow attendees to annotate”
- Choose the screen or app to share
- Click the annotation icon to enable drawing tools for participants
Allowing annotations keeps your audience engaged and gives them an outlet to provide visual feedback as you present. Disable annotations again when you are finished.
The ability to share your screen with synchronized audio and video is extremely valuable for Webex meeting presentations. Following Webex best practices for sharing content will ensure your meetings are productive and collaborative for everyone involved.
With the steps in this guide, you now know how to properly share your screen with audio on any device. You also have some tips to resolve audio issues, share video files, and allow annotations during screen sharing.
Put these skills into practice at your next Webex meeting to share multimedia content that looks and sounds great for all participants. Let me know if you have any other questions!