Chromecast devices provide an easy and affordable way to stream audio from your phone, tablet, or computer to speakers. With just a few setup steps, you can enjoy your music through speakers connected to your TV or audio system.
Table of Contents
What You Need
To get started streaming music with Chromecast, you will need:
- A Chromecast device – The standard Chromecast plugs into your TV’s HDMI port. The Chromecast Audio plugs directly into speakers via a 3.5mm jack.
- Speakers – Either a sound system connected to your TV or standalone speakers that accept a 3.5mm input.
- The Google Home app – Available for Android and iOS. This app handles setup and control of your Chromecast device.
- A phone, tablet, or computer – To run the Google Home app and music streaming apps.
Step 1: Connect Your Chromecast Device
First, plug your Chromecast or Chromecast Audio into your TV or speakers.
For the standard Chromecast, plug the device into an open HDMI port on your TV. The Chromecast Audio connects directly to speakers via a 3.5mm audio cable.
Step 2: Set Up With the Google Home App
Download the Google Home app on your phone or tablet. Open the app and tap the “+” icon to add your Chromecast device.
Follow the on-screen setup instructions to connect your Chromecast to your WiFi network. The app will walk you through playing a test sound to confirm your speaker setup.
Step 3. Open a Music Streaming App
Once setup is complete, you’re ready to start streaming music! Open a music app on your phone, tablet, or computer that supports Chromecast. Popular options include:
- YouTube Music
- Google Play Music
Tap the Cast button within the app – it looks like a WiFi symbol – and select your Chromecast device. Then select a song, album, playlist, or radio station to start playing music on your speakers.
Step 4. Control Playback from Your Phone
After casting to your speakers, you can use the music app on your phone or tablet to control playback. Pause, skip tracks, adjust volume, and more.
The music session will continue even if you switch to a different app or lock your phone’s screen. Tap the notification to jump back into the music app.
- Create speaker groups – You can group multiple Chromecast devices together for multi-room, whole-home audio using the Google Home app.
- Use voice commands – If you have a Google Assistant device like a Nest speaker, you can use voice commands to play music on your Chromecast speaker group.
- Improve audio quality – For the best sound quality, use the Chromecast Audio connected directly to a stereo system or speakers rather than streaming through your TV speakers.
And that’s it! With Chromecast powered speakers connected, you have a whole world of music at your fingertips. It’s an easy and flexible way to enjoy streaming audio anywhere in your home.