Telegram’s built-in spoiler tags are an incredibly useful feature for hiding sensitive information or avoiding spoiling TV shows and movies. Here is a comprehensive guide on how to use Telegram’s spoiler tags on both desktop and mobile.
Table of Contents
What Are Spoiler Tags?
Spoiler tags allow you to hide a portion of text with a shimmering animation. When someone receives a message with spoiler tags, they need to actively tap or click on the animation to reveal the hidden text. This prevents accidentally seeing spoilers for things like:
- TV shows
- Video games
- Sports events
Spoiler tags are courteous to use when discussing major plot details that others may not have seen yet.
How To Use Spoiler Tags on Desktop
Using spoiler tags on Telegram desktop is easy:
- Open Telegram and navigate to the group or channel where you want to use spoiler tags
- Type your message as normal
- Highlight the text you want to hide by clicking and dragging your mouse
- Right click the selected text
- Click Spoiler in the formatting menu
- Hit enter to send the message with the hidden spoiler text
You can also use the keyboard shortcuts Ctrl+Shift+P (Windows) or Cmd+Shift+P (Mac) after highlighting text to quickly apply the spoiler tag.
Example Spoiler Message on Desktop
When you send a message with spoiler tags on desktop, the hidden text will be covered by a shimmering gray box. Recipients can reveal the text by hovering over the box and clicking on it.
How To Use Spoiler Tags on Mobile
Using spoiler tags in Telegram on your iPhone, Android, or other mobile device only takes a few taps:
- Open Telegram and navigate to the desired group or channel
- Type out your message as normal
- Press and hold on the part of the message you want to hide
- Tap Spoiler in the formatting menu
- Tap Send to transmit the message with spoiler tags
Example Spoiler Message on Mobile
On mobile, the spoiler tagged text will be covered by an animated icon that recipients can tap to uncover the hidden section of your message.
Why Use Spoiler Tags?
Here are some of the top reasons to use Telegram’s handy built-in spoiler tag feature:
- Avoid posting major spoilers for movies, TV, games, books, etc.
- Hide potentially offensive words or phrases
- Share surprises or secrets without ruining them prematurely
- Limit sensitive information to certain recipients
- Ensure people see information only when they choose to
- Be courteous by allowing viewers consent before revealing hidden details
In a nutshell, spoiler tags give recipients control over when they view parts of a message. This empowers your audience and facilitates better online communication.
Tips for Using Spoiler Tags Effectively
Follow these tips when using spoiler tags for maximum impact:
- Alert people spoiler tags are present – Write “spoiler warning!” or “spoilers ahead!” so people know to proceed cautiously.
- Double check tag placement – Accidentally leaving parts of spoilers visible defeats the purpose.
- Add context before or after – Give people basic details on what franchise or topic is being spoiled.
- Use judiciously – Don’t overuse spoiler tags or they lose effectiveness.
Can Spoiler Tags Be Removed?
Once you send a message with spoiler tags, there is no built-in way to remove them. However, on mobile devices, you can:
- Exit the chat window
- Re-enter the chat
This resets the message and hides the spoiler tags again.
On desktop, there is no way to remove the tags after sending. So proofread carefully before hitting enter.
Telegram’s spoiler tag feature provides an easy way to hide text behind a clickable/tappable cover. By following the steps outlined above for desktop and mobile, you can avoid ruining surprises for your friends and family on Telegram.
Use spoiler tags judiciously and alert recipients before major reveals. This empowers your audience and makes online communication more enjoyable for everyone.