The Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus are powerful Android smartphones packed with features. One handy capability is the built-in Google Assistant, which allows you to use voice commands to get things done quickly.
Table of Contents
Enabling “OK Google” Detection
To launch the Google Assistant using just your voice, you first need to enable “OK Google” detection. Here are the steps:
- Open the Google app on your S8/S8 Plus
- Tap the hamburger menu icon in the top left corner
- Select Settings
- Choose Voice
- Tap Voice Match
- Turn on the switch next to “Ok Google” detection
This allows your S8/S8 Plus to actively listen for the “OK Google” hotword when the screen is on.
Training Your Voice Model
For best accuracy, you should also train Google Assistant to recognize your voice:
- In the Voice Match settings, tap Improve voice model
- Follow the on-screen prompts to record samples of your voice saying “OK Google” and other phrases
The more samples Google has of your unique voice, the better it will be at picking you out from background noise or other voices.
Using Voice Commands
Once enabled, you can launch the Google Assistant at any time by saying “OK Google” when your S8/S8 Plus screen is on.
Try out these voice commands:
- “OK Google, what’s the weather today?”
- “OK Google, set an alarm for 7 AM”
- “OK Google, call Mom”
- “OK Google, navigate me home”
The Assistant can help you get directions, set reminders, dictate texts, identify music, convert units, and much more. Explore all the possibilities!
For further customization, delve into the Google Assistant settings:
- Open the Google app
- Tap the hamburger menu > Settings > Google Assistant
- Adjust options like languages, speech output, device assistance app, and more
For example, you can set Google Assistant to respond in Spanish for a bilingual experience.
If “OK Google” detection stops working properly on your S8/S8 Plus, here are some troubleshooting steps:
- Make sure Voice Match is still enabled in settings
- Check that the Google app has microphone permissions enabled
- Try retraining your voice model with new samples
- Check for Android or Google app updates
- Toggle Voice Match off and on again
With some minor setup, the Google Assistant can become an indispensable hands-free assistant on your Galaxy S8 or S8 Plus. Just utter the magic phrase “OK Google” to get started!