DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management) is a powerful tool used to repair Windows images. It can be used to repair, modify, and optimize Windows operating systems.
This tutorial will provide an overview of DISM and how it can be used to repair Windows images or the files that contain the operating system and its components. By taking advantage of all that DISM has to offer, you’ll be able to ensure smooth installation processes while keeping your system secure and reliable.
DISM can be used to perform various tasks such as:
- Adding, removing, or updating drivers, packages, features, or applications in a Windows image.
- Cleaning up unnecessary files from a Windows image to reduce its size.
- Repairing corrupted system files or system image using an installation media or Windows Update as a source.
- Mounting and unmounting Windows images for offline servicing.
How to use DISM with Windows installation media
1. Open Command Prompt as an administrator. Click on the Start button and select Command Prompt, Run as administrator.
2. On the Command Prompt window, type DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:X:\RepairSource\Windows and press Enter. Replace X with the letter of your installation media drive.
3. This will use the files from your installation media to repair your system image.
How to use DISM without Windows installation media
If you don’t have an installation media, you can use Windows Update as a source instead. To do this, follow these steps:
1. On the Command Prompt window, type DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and press Enter.
2. This will use Windows Update to download and install the latest files for your system image.
After running DISM commands, you may need to restart your computer.
In conclusion, DISM is a powerful and useful tool that provides various features for troubleshooting and repairing issues with existing images or deployments. With the right knowledge and understanding of how to use DISM properly, you will have no trouble managing your Windows deployments effectively.