Google Maps is the most popular navigation app used by millions of people daily. Its turn-by-turn navigation feature with voice guidance makes it easy to reach any destination.
While the default voice works well for most users, you may want to customize it as per your preference. For example, you may want the directions in a different language or accent.
Fortunately, Google Maps makes it easy to change the default voice on both Android and iOS devices. Here is a step-by-step guide.
Table of Contents
On Android Devices
Changing the default voice on Android devices is straightforward from within the Google Maps application. Just follow these steps:
- Open the Google Maps app on your Android phone.
- Tap on your profile icon in the top right corner.
- Select “Settings” from the menu.
- Scroll down and tap on “Navigation settings”.
- Under the “Sound & voice” section, tap on “Voice selection”.
- You will now see a list of various voices to choose from. Tap on your preferred option.
- The suggested voices for your region are shown first.
- Scroll down further to see the full list of available voices.
- Google Maps will now use the newly selected voice for turn-by-turn navigation guidance.
That’s it! The process is quick and simple on Android devices. You can change back to the default voice anytime from the same menu.
The process is slightly more complicated on iPhones and iOS devices. There is no direct option to change voice within the Google Maps app itself. However, you can change it indirectly by changing the language settings of your iPhone.
Follow these steps to change the navigation voice on your iPhone:
- Open “Settings” on your iPhone.
- Scroll down and tap on “General”.
- Now choose “Language & Region”.
- Tap on “iPhone Language” from the available options.
- Select your preferred language. For example, choose “English (United Kingdom)” to change to a British accent.
- You will get a prompt to confirm changing the device language. Tap “Continue”.
- Once the language change is complete, open Google Maps. The navigation voice will now change based on the newly selected device language.
While this approach works, it changes your device language completely for all apps. You can always switch it back once done using Google Maps.
Customize Additional Voice Settings
Aside from choosing the main navigation voice, Google Maps provides additional customization options:
- Adjust Volume: Make the voice guidance louder or softer as per your need.
- Mute/Unmute: Temporarily mute or unmute the voice guidance.
- Voice During Calls: Choose whether navigation voice guidance will continue during phone calls.
These quick settings allow you to tweak the voice guidance without changing the core voice itself.
Use Google Assistant Voice
An alternative option on Android devices is changing the Google Assistant voice, which also reflects within Google Maps navigation.
Since Google Assistant has more voice options for languages compared to Maps, this gives you more customization ability.
- Open Google Assistant settings on your Android device.
- Choose “Preferences” > “Voice”.
- Select your preferred Google Assistant voice.
- Now open Google Maps to find the changed voice being used for navigation guidance.
Why Change The Default Voice?
Here are some common reasons why you may want to change the default voice in Google Maps:
- Language: Switch the navigation instructions to your native or preferred language.
- Accent: Changing to a familiar accent can make understanding directions easier.
- Clarity: Some synthesized voices are clearer and easier to comprehend.
- Fun: Selecting a unique voice adds a fun element to your navigation guidance.
- Accessibility: Visually impaired users can benefit from a clear voice tailored to their needs.
No matter what your reason, Google Maps makes it simple to choose a navigation voice that suits your requirements.
So go ahead and experiment with the various options. Finding a voice that you are comfortable with will greatly enhance your overall navigation experience.