Blocking someone on Facebook is an easy way to prevent them from viewing your profile or contacting you. However, you may later decide you want to reconnect with that person or simply view their profile again. Fortunately, Facebook makes it simple to unblock people you had previously blocked.
Table of Contents
When To Unblock Someone On Facebook
Here are some common reasons you may want to unblock someone on Facebook:
- You blocked them in a moment of frustration but now regret it
- Enough time has passed and you want to reconnect
- You need to contact them regarding an event, group, etc.
- You want to spy on their profile and see their posts
- They were blocked by mistake
Regardless of the reason, unblocking someone on Facebook only takes a few clicks.
How To Unblock On Facebook Website
Unblocking someone via the Facebook website is easy:
- Click the down arrow in the top right and select Settings & Privacy > Settings
- Click Blocking on the left sidebar
- Click Edit next to Block Users
- Click See Your Blocked List
- Click Unblock next to the person’s name
- Click Confirm to complete unblocking them
And that’s it! They will now be unblocked from your account.
Unblock On Facebook Mobile App
To unblock someone on the Facebook mobile app:
- Tap the hamburger menu (3 lines) in the top right
- Select Settings & Privacy > Settings
- Tap Blocking
- Tap Unblock next to the person’s name
- Tap Unblock again to confirm
Unblocking the person will remove the restrictions between your accounts.
What Happens When You Unblock
When you unblock someone on Facebook:
- They will be able to view your profile and posts again
- They will be re-added to your friends list if you were friends before
- You will be able to message them again
- Your posts will show up in their News Feed again
However, unblocking someone does not send them a friend request. If you want to be Facebook friends again, one of you will have to send a friend request after unblocking.
Should You Unblock?
Before deciding to unblock someone, think carefully about why you blocked them in the first place.
- Were they harassing you or making you uncomfortable?
- Did they repeatedly violate your boundaries?
If you blocked them for these reasons, unblocking is risky and could enable further harassment or toxicity. Use your best judgment.
However, if you blocked them hastily or simply lost touch, unblocking can be a chance to reconnect. Go slowly and keep a lookout for any red flags if they begin contacting you again.
Tips For Unblocking On Facebook
Here are some additional tips for unblocking people on Facebook:
- You can’t unblock someone you just blocked right away – you have to wait 48 hours before unblocking them again
- Unblocking someone won’t notify them or send them a friend request automatically
- You can block someone again immediately after unblocking them if you change your mind
- If you can’t find someone in your blocked list to unblock, try searching their name
- You can unblock friends, followers, groups, pages – anyone you have blocked
While blocking can be a useful Facebook tool to gain space from toxic people, you may later wish to reconnect. Fortunately, Facebook’s unblock feature makes it quick and straightforward to start interacting with someone again.
Carefully consider the reasons you blocked them initially before deciding to unblock someone. And if you do unblock a person and notice troubling behavior reemerging, don’t hesitate to block them again.
Unblocking gives you back control over your interactions on Facebook. Use it judiciously when you feel someone deserves another chance.