The Google Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL are Android smartphones developed by Google. Taking screenshots on these devices is easy and straightforward. Here is a detailed guide on the various methods to capture screenshots on your Pixel 2 or Pixel 2 XL.
Table of Contents
Using the Power and Volume Down Buttons
The easiest way to take a screenshot on the Pixel 2/2 XL is by pressing the Power and Volume Down buttons simultaneously.
Follow these steps:
- Navigate to the screen you want to capture. This could be an app screen, website, text conversation etc.
- Press and hold the Power button and Volume Down button at the same time for 1-2 seconds.
- You will hear a camera shutter sound (if your phone is not on silent mode) indicating the screenshot has been taken.
- A thumbnail preview of the screenshot will momentarily appear in the bottom left corner of your screen.
- The screenshot will be automatically saved in the Photos app > Library > Screenshots folder. You can access it from there.
This method works on all screens and allows you to conveniently capture screenshots by just using the hardware buttons. It is reliable and does not need any additional setup.
Using Gestures (Android 11 and above)
If you are on Android 11 or later software versions, you can take screenshots using gestures without needing the buttons.
Here are the steps:
- Swipe up from the bottom of the screen and hold to bring up the recent apps view.
- In the recent apps screen, locate the app screen you want to capture.
- Tap on the Screenshot icon in the bottom toolbar.
- The screenshot will be taken and you will get a preview.
This method can be handy if your hardware buttons stop working for any reason. However, it only allows you to capture app screens from the recent apps view.
Using Google Assistant
You can also utilize the Google Assistant to capture screenshots by voice commands.
Follow these instructions:
- Activate your Google Assistant by long pressing the home button or saying “Okay Google” or “Hey Google”.
- Say “Take a screenshot” to prompt the Assistant to capture a screenshot.
- You will see a preview appear on the screen before the image is saved to your Photos.
While convenient, this method does not work on secure screens like banking apps or password manager apps.
Finding and Sharing Screenshots
To find your screenshots:
- Open the Photos app and tap on ‘Library’. Here tap on the ‘Screenshots’ folder to see all your screenshots in one place.
To share a screenshot:
- Open the screenshot from the Photos app
- Tap on the Share button in the toolbar at the bottom
- Select the app you want to share it with like Gmail, Messages, Social apps etc.
The screenshot will be attached to your selected app ready to be shared.
- You can edit the screenshot by tapping ‘Edit’ after opening it in Photos app. Add annotations, crop, rotate etc before sharing.
- Screenshots taken by gesture method may sometimes capture the status and navigation bar. Crop it out before sharing for a clean capture.
- You can change the screenshot file format from JPEG to PNG for better quality. Enable this in Settings.
- Use a file manager app to directly access Screenshot folder from device storage to manage files.
Taking screenshots on the Pixel 2 or Pixel 2 XL is very simple with the various methods discussed above. Use the hardware buttons to conveniently capture any screen. Gestures and Google Assistant provide additional hands-free options. Follow the tips to easily manage and share your screenshots.