The Meta Quest 2 (formerly Oculus Quest 2) is one of the most popular standalone virtual reality headsets. As with any gadget, you may sometimes encounter issues that require resetting the device to factory settings. Resetting deletes all data and restores the headset to its original state.
There are a few reasons why you may want to factory reset your Meta Quest 2:
Table of Contents
- Reasons to Factory Reset Meta Quest 2
- Back Up Important Data
- Factory Reset Methods
- What Gets Deleted During a Factory Reset
- Troubleshooting Factory Reset Issues
- Frequently Asked Questions
Reasons to Factory Reset Meta Quest 2
- Before selling or gifting: Resetting the headset protects your privacy by deleting all personal information. The next owner can set up the Meta Quest 2 from scratch.
- Fix performance issues: A reset can resolve software glitches, lag, freezing, and other problems. It gives the headset a fresh start.
- Prepare for repairs: If sending your headset for hardware service, perform a factory reset first to erase sensitive data.
Back Up Important Data
Before factory resetting, back up any game progress, achievements, photos, videos, or other files you want to keep. A reset erases everything on the headset.
You’ll have to re-download any purchased games and apps after the reset since licenses are tied to your Meta account. However, your purchases and entitlements will remain intact.
Factory Reset Methods
You can factory reset a Meta Quest 2 using:
Reset Through the Headset
This method doesn’t require a phone. Here are the steps:
- Turn off the Meta Quest 2.
- Press and hold the power and volume down buttons simultaneously until you see the boot menu.
- Use the volume buttons to select Factory Reset. Press the power button to confirm.
- Select Yes to erase all data. The headset will restart and reset itself.
Reset Through the Mobile App
You can also factory reset via the Meta Quest app on an iPhone or Android device:
- Open the Meta Quest app and ensure your headset is paired.
- Go to Settings > Devices and select your headset.
- Tap Advanced Settings > Factory Reset.
- Confirm reset. The headset will restart and wipe all data.
What Gets Deleted During a Factory Reset
A factory reset erases all user-generated data, including:
- Meta/Facebook account and password
- Downloaded games, apps, videos, photos
- Game progress and achievements
- Custom environments
- Paired controller settings
- Guardian boundaries
- WiFi passwords
Hardware remains intact along with the core firmware. You’ll have to set up the Meta Quest 2 from scratch after the reset.
Troubleshooting Factory Reset Issues
Here are some tips if you face problems during or after the reset process:
- Ensure the headset has at least 50% battery charge before resetting.
- If the device won’t power back on, press and hold the power button for 30 seconds.
- If issues persist, contact Meta/Oculus support for troubleshooting help.
- Stuck on logo screen? Try leaving the headset plugged in for 1-2 hours.
And that’s everything you need to know about factory resetting your Meta Quest 2! Let us know if you have any other questions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does factory reset delete my games?
Yes, a factory reset will delete all your downloaded games, apps, and content. You’ll have to re-download everything from the Meta Store after the reset. However, your purchases and entitlements remain saved under your account.
Can I backup my game progress before resetting?
Unfortunately, there is no way to back up save data or game progress from Meta Quest headsets currently. Your progress will be lost after the reset.
Will I lose my account after factory reset?
No, your Meta/Facebook account will remain intact. You’ll simply have to log into it again on the headset after the reset. Purchases and game licenses will also be saved under your account.
Why is my headset stuck on the logo after reset?
If your Meta Quest 2 gets stuck on the logo screen after factory resetting, leave it plugged into charge for 1-2 hours. This additional power cycling helps the device recover. If the issue persists, you may need technical support.
Does resetting improve headset performance?
Yes, factory resetting can often resolve software glitches and performance issues like freezing, lagging, etc. It wipes the slate clean, giving your Meta Quest 2 a fresh start, which should restore smooth functionality.
Can I reset if I forgot the passcode?
You cannot factory reset if you don’t remember the unlock passcode. In this case, use your paired mobile device to unlock the headset remotely by going to Settings > Devices > Unlock Headset.