As an LG smart TV owner, you may be wondering how you can access local TV channels and their live streams on your internet-connected LG TV. With streaming services and over-the-air antennas, there are a few easy ways to get local channel access right on your LG smart TV.
Table of Contents
Using a Digital Antenna
One of the simplest ways to get access to local channel streams is by using a digital over-the-air (OTA) antenna. Here’s how it works:
- Purchase an indoor or outdoor digital antenna. Make sure it is rated for HD signals. Prices range from $10 for simple indoor antennas to $150 or more for large outdoor models.
- Connect the antenna to your LG smart TV via coaxial cable. There should be an antenna input port on the back of the TV.
- Open the TV settings and go to the Channel menu. Select “Channel Tuning” and then “Auto Tuning” to scan for available local channels. This automatically finds and adds local channels to your channel guide.
- You can now flip through local channel streams just like cable TV, except the broadcast signals are being picked up for free over the air. An antenna gets you major local networks like ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, and PBS in full HD quality.
Using an antenna is a one-time setup with no monthly fees. Picture quality is excellent and you have unlimited access to local news, sports, and TV shows. The only catch is that channel availability depends on your distance to the local broadcast towers. Those in rural areas may have trouble picking up signals.
Using Streaming TV Services
In addition to antennas, most major streaming TV providers also offer local channel streams in certain markets. For example, services like YouTube TV, Hulu + Live TV, Sling TV, FuboTV, and DirecTV Stream all include major local channels in most areas.
Here’s how to set up local channels through a streaming service on your LG smart TV:
- Select your preferred streaming TV provider and check that it carries your local channel lineup. Most services offer free trial periods.
- Create an account and subscription on the streaming provider’s website. Make sure to enter your zip code to confirm local channel availability.
- Download the corresponding app on your LG smart TV. For example, the YouTube TV app for LG. Apps can be searched and installed right on your LG TV.
- Log into the app using your streaming TV account credentials. Your local live channels should then appear just like cable TV in the app’s channel guide.
Streaming services offer excellent HD quality streams of local broadcasts. However, a consistent high-speed internet connection is required since the channels are delivered over the internet. Costs are around $40-70 per month depending on the service.
Using Free Local Network Apps
In some cases, local TV network affiliates offer free apps on LG smart TVs to live stream their channel. For example, apps like CBS News, ABC News, NBC News, and Fox Now allow you to watch live local programming without a subscription.
The process is simple:
- Search for your local TV network apps in the LG Content Store. For example “CBS Los Angeles” or “ABC Chicago”.
- Install any free local network apps that are available. App availability varies by location.
- Open the app to view a live stream of that local station’s broadcasts like news and certain shows.
While content is limited compared to full streaming TV services, local network apps offer free, unlimited access to some great local programming options. This method relies solely on individual app availability in your area.
Getting live local TV on your LG smart TV is simple with digital antennas and streaming options. For the best experience, use an antenna to cover major local networks in high definition quality without any monthly fees. Complement your antenna with streaming options to gain more channel variety and flexibility to watch local broadcasts on all your devices. With all these choices available, you should have no problem accessing local programming on your new LG television.
As a long-time LG customer and smart TV enthusiast, I am happy to share my experience in easily accessing those important local news and entertainment channels. Let me know if you have any other questions!