iMessage allows users to spice up their conversations with fun interactive screen effects. These effects can help emphasize messages, liven up group chats, or just send something silly to make your friends smile.
Adding screen effects to iMessages is easy — here’s a step-by-step guide on how to access and send different effects using an iPhone.
Table of Contents
Activate iMessage Screen Effects
Before sending any effects, you’ll need to make sure the necessary settings are enabled on your device:
- Open the Settings app
- Go to Accessibility > Display & Text Size
- Make sure Reduce Motion is toggled Off
- This setting needs to be off to send full screen effects
- You can also go to Settings > Messages and enable Auto-Play Message Effects
- This will automatically play message effects when you receive them
Access the iMessage Screen Effects Menu
To add effects to your messages:
- Open the Messages app
- Tap on a conversation or start a new message
- Type out your message as normal
- Long press on the blue send arrow
- This will open the Send with Effect menu
From here, you’ll see options for Bubble Effects and Screen Effects.
Bubble effects animate the message bubble itself. Options include:
- Slam – Makes the bubble “slam” down onto the screen
- Loud – Enlarges the text then shrinks it
- Gentle – Gently raises the bubble onto the screen
- Invisible Ink – Blurs the text until tapped by recipient
To use, select a bubble effect and tap the message to preview. Tap the effect again to send.
Screen effects take over the entire screen. Options include:
- Echo – Repeats your message in animated bubbles
- Spotlight – A spotlight shines on your message
- Balloons – Multicolored balloons float up from bottom of screen
- Confetti – Burst of confetti flies across screen
- Love – Pink hearts float across screen
- Lasers – Lasers light up the screen
- Fireworks – Animated fireworks display
- Shooting Star – A shooting star flies across screen
To use, select a screen effect and tap the message to preview. Tap the effect again to send.
Certain words will also trigger automated screen effects:
- Congratulations – Sends confetti
- Happy birthday – Sends balloons
- Happy New Year – Sends fireworks
So try including these phrases in your messages too!
Extra iMessage Tips
Along with screen effects, there are a few other fun things you can do to spice up conversations:
- Memoji Stickers – Create a personalized Memoji avatar with different poses and facial expressions. You can then send these animated stickers in messages.
- Camera Effects – Access filters, text designs, shapes and more to decorate photos and videos before sending.
- Digital Touch – Draw quick doodles and send animated heartbeats, kisses, etc.
- Invisible Ink – As mentioned before, this makes text blurred out until the recipient taps on it. Perfect for sending secret messages!
So now you know how to make your iMessage chats more lively and engaging! Try out all the different screen effects and see which ones make your friends smile. Get creative in your conversations by combining effects with photos, videos, Memoji stickers, and more. Happy messaging!
About the Author
I’m a tech writer and Apple device enthusiast who loves discovering new iOS tips and tricks. I enjoy writing guides that help people get more out of their iPhones and iPads. When I’m not writing, you can find me trying out new iOS beta features, creating Memoji, and sending iMessage screen effects to my friends!