Apple TV offers a wide range of entertainment content including TV shows, movies, music, and apps. However, some of this content may be geo-restricted to the US only. If you are traveling or living outside the US, you may not be able to access your favorite US shows and movies on Apple TV. Fortunately, there are a few methods you can use to bypass these geo-restrictions and watch US Apple TV content from anywhere.
Table of Contents
Using a VPN
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) allows you to change your virtual location by connecting through a remote server. This hides your real IP address and makes it seem like you are accessing the internet from another country.
Here are the steps to set up a VPN on your Apple TV:
- Choose a VPN service that works well with streaming like ExpressVPN, NordVPN, or Surfshark
- Download the VPN app on your iPhone, iPad or Mac
- Connect to a US-based VPN server on the device
- Cast or mirror the content from your device to the Apple TV
The VPN will make it seem like your device is in the US, thus allowing you to bypass geo-blocks and access US libraries. This method works seamlessly for streaming content.
Using Smart DNS Proxy
Another option is using a Smart DNS proxy service. A Smart DNS service changes your DNS server settings instead of routing your traffic through a VPN tunnel.
Follow these steps to set up Smart DNS on Apple TV:
- Subscribe to a Smart DNS service like Unlocator or Getflix
- Whitelist your IP address on their website
- On your Apple TV settings, go to Network > Configure DNS > Manual
- Enter the DNS addresses provided by the Smart DNS service
The Smart DNS server will route your traffic through US-based DNS, thus fooling streaming services into thinking you are accessing them from within the US.
Using a US Apple ID
You can also access US restricted content by creating a new US-based Apple ID. Follow these steps:
- Create a new Apple ID with US as your country and a US address
- Choose None for payment method
- Sign out from your existing Apple ID on the Apple TV
- Sign in with your new US Apple ID
This will make your Apple TV seem like it’s based in the US and provide access to geo-restricted content. However, you’ll only be able to access Apple’s own content like Apple TV+ this way.
Tips for Streaming US Content on Apple TV Anywhere
- Always choose reliable VPN and Smart DNS services that offer fast speeds for streaming
- Connect your device to nearby servers to reduce latency
- Use Ethernet connection instead of WiFi whenever possible for faster and more reliable speeds
- Test different regional servers on the VPN/Smart DNS to find the one that works best
- Clear app data/cache if you face any streaming issues
Using one of these methods, you can easily bypass geographical restrictions and enjoy US Apple TV content from anywhere in the world.