Using a PS4 controller on your iPad can greatly enhance your gaming experience by providing more precise and responsive controls compared to the touchscreen. Whether you want to play games from the App Store or use Remote Play to access your PS4 games, connecting a DualShock 4 controller to your iPad is easy.
Table of Contents
To use a PS4 controller on your iPad, you need:
- A DualShock 4 wireless controller
- An iPad running iOS 13 or later
- For PS4 Remote Play specifically, a PS4 system running system software version 6.50 or later
Steps to Connect a PS4 Controller to an iPad
Connecting your DualShock 4 controller to an iPad via Bluetooth only takes a few steps:
- Turn on your PS4 controller and make sure Bluetooth is enabled.
- Put your controller into pairing mode by pressing and holding the PS button and Share button simultaneously until the light bar starts rapidly blinking. This makes your controller discoverable.
- On your iPad, open Settings > Bluetooth and ensure Bluetooth is turned on.
- Select “DUALSHOCK 4 Wireless Controller” from the list of available devices. Your iPad will pair and connect to your PS4 controller.
Once successfully connected via Bluetooth, the light bar on your controller will turn solid pink. The controller will now work with any compatible controller-supported games on your iPad.
Using a PS4 Controller for Remote Play on iPad
With a DualShock 4 controller paired to your iPad, you can use Sony’s official PS4 Remote Play app to access and play your PS4 games remotely:
- Download the free PS4 Remote Play app from the App Store on your iPad.
- Launch the app and sign into your PlayStation Network account.
- Make sure both your PS4 and iPad are connected to the same Wi-Fi network. This allows them to communicate.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to link your iPad to your PS4 system. Once connected, you will see your PS4’s home screen mirrored on your iPad.
- Use the DualShock 4 controller paired to your iPad to navigate and play games on your PS4 remotely. Your controller inputs will be sent over the Wi-Fi network to control your PS4.
The PS4 Remote Play app lets you access all your PS4 games, apps, and media content remotely through your iPad. With a controller connected, it provides a console-like gaming experience anywhere you go.
Tips When Using a PS4 Controller on iPad
Here are some handy tips when using a DualShock 4 controller with your iPad:
- Fully charge your controller before pairing and use to avoid sudden disconnects from low battery.
- For Remote Play, connect both devices to a 5Ghz Wi-Fi network for minimal lag.
- Your controller may disconnect after long periods of inactivity. Simply press the PS button to reconnect.
- Launch games from the Remote Play app itself for guaranteed controller support.
- Some games do not support controllers. Check each game’s App Store description for compatibility.
- Use a stand or clip to securely mount your iPad when gaming with a controller.
So with just a few quick steps, you can be gaming with precise PS4 controller support on your iPad. Whether playing natively on iPadOS or tapping into your full PS4 game library remotely, connecting a DualShock 4 opens up new possibilities for mobile gaming.