Viber is a popular messaging and calling app used by over 200 million people worldwide. It allows users to make free calls, send instant messages, share photos/videos, and have group chats with up to 200 participants.
While Viber can help you stay connected with friends and family, you may sometimes want to delete or block certain contacts. Here’s a comprehensive guide on how to do that on both Android and iOS devices.
Table of Contents
Deleting Contacts on Viber
Deleting a contact removes them permanently from your Viber account across all devices. Here are the steps to delete contacts:
- Open the Viber app and tap on “Contacts” at the bottom
- Long press the contact you want to delete
- Tap on “Delete contact” to confirm
- Open Viber and go to your contacts list
- Tap on the contact you want to remove
- Tap on the pencil icon in the top right corner
- Tap on “Delete this contact” and confirm deletion
Once a contact is deleted from Viber, you won’t be able to retrieve your chat history or media exchanged with that person. So only delete if you are absolutely certain.
Blocking Contacts on Viber
Blocking someone on Viber prevents them from contacting you directly or seeing your profile updates. However, you can still view their profile info and online status. Here is how to block and unblock users:
- Open Viber > Tap on More > Tap Settings > Privacy > Blocked Contacts
- Tap on the “+” icon and select the contact you want to block
- Tap “Block” to confirm
- Follow the same steps as above
- Tap on the contact you want to unblock
- Tap “Unblock”
- Open the chat with the person you want to block
- Tap on the contact’s name > Tap Block Contact > Confirm blocking
- Go to Settings > Privacy > Blocked >Tap on Edit
- Tap on the red minus icon next to the contact
- Tap Unblock to confirm
Once blocked, the contact won’t be able to call or message you. Their messages will show as “Sent” but never get delivered to you.
Other Useful Tips
Here are some additional tips to help manage your contacts and privacy settings on Viber:
- Turn on “Invisible Mode” if you want to hide your online status from contacts
- Enable “Private Chats” to have encrypted conversations
- Set messages to “Disappear” after a time period for privacy
- Create a custom list of favorite contacts for quick access
- Disable “Show My Photo” in your profile settings for more privacy
- Frequently check your active group chats and leave any irrelevant ones
Viber makes it easy to block unwanted contacts or remove people you no longer wish to be connected with. Make sure to periodically review your contacts and groups lists to ensure your privacy settings are enabled.
With over 200 million global users, Viber offers a seamless messaging experience across platforms. Taking the time to customize your settings goes a long way in having better control over your contacts and privacy.