Wordle has become an extremely popular online word game over the past year. The premise is simple – guess the five-letter word of the day in six tries or less. With its clean, ad-free interface, Wordle has attracted millions of devoted fans.
Many Wordle enthusiasts want to know how to download Wordle to play offline. The good news is you can easily save Wordle webpages to your computer or mobile device for offline gameplay. Here’s a step-by-step guide to downloading Wordle on various platforms.
Table of Contents
Downloading Wordle on a Computer
Downloading Wordle on a Windows or Mac computer only takes a few quick steps:
- Go to the Wordle website in your preferred browser (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, etc.).
- Right-click anywhere on the webpage.
- Select “Save As” from the menu.
- Save the webpage as a complete HTML file on your computer.
You now have the Wordle webpage stored locally on your computer. To play offline, simply open the saved HTML file in your browser. The full Wordle game functionality should work normally without an internet connection.
- Play Wordle on a plane, subway, or anywhere without WiFi
- Avoid potential Wordle paywalls if implemented in the future
- Playing offline won’t save your statistics and streaks
- Need to occasionally reconnect online to update to the latest version
Downloading Wordle on an Android Device
Android users can also download Wordle for offline play. Follow these instructions:
- Open the Wordle website in the Chrome app.
- Tap the three-dot menu in the top right corner.
- Select the download icon (downward arrow).
- Chrome will download the webpage. Go to “Downloads” in Chrome to access Wordle offline.
- Play Wordle without internet or data connection
- Easy process within Chrome browser
- Accessing the downloaded webpage is a bit tricky
- No guarantee of cross-device syncing or streak tracking
Downloading Wordle on an iPhone or iPad
Apple users will need to take a couple extra steps to get Wordle offline on an iPhone or iPad:
- Open the Wordle website in Safari.
- Tap the Share button.
- Next to the webpage URL, tap Options.
- Select “Web Archive” and hit Done.
- Choose “Save to Files” from the share menu.
- Select a folder to save the Wordle webpage.
You can now access your offline Wordle webpage in the Files app. One limitation is that it may not display properly in Safari or Chrome. For best results, open the saved webpage in Microsoft Edge.
- Play Wordle anywhere without internet access
- Sync progress across Apple devices
- Requires downloading the Microsoft Edge browser
- Offline streaks and statistics may not sync properly
Top Tips for Mastering Wordle Offline
Once you’ve downloaded Wordle for offline play, here are some top tips to get the most out of the experience:
- Play a few games online first – Make sure you understand the basic Wordle rules and gameplay prior to going offline.
- Occasionally reconnect – Every so often, play Wordle online to sync your statistics and update to the latest version.
- Use a starting word with common vowels – Good choices include words like “ADIEU” or “SOARE.”
- Pay attention to letter color clues – Yellow and green letters give you critical information to narrow down possibilities.
- Think carefully before each guess – Use a reasoned, strategic approach instead of guessing randomly.
- Enjoy the lack of distractions – No ads, notifications, or losing streaks due to a lost internet connection!
The Future of the Wordle Craze
Part of Wordle’s appeal is its simplicity. The game likely won’t ever become much more complex. However, we will probably see continued growth in the popularity of Wordle variations and spinoffs:
- Multiples – Quordle, Octordle, Sedecordle (solve 4, 8, or 16 Wordles simultaneously)
- Themes – Queerdle (5-letter queer-related words), Taylordle (Taylor Swift lyrics), Mathler (math equations)
- Twists – Absurdle (the game tries to avoid letting you win), Crosswordle (crossword/Wordle mashup)
- New formats – Live-action game shows, board games, books, and more
No matter what changes occur with Wordle, downloading the original for offline play ensures you can continue enjoying this phenomenally popular word game for years to come. Follow the simple instructions above to get Wordle on your computer, phone, or tablet today!