Steam is a popular gaming platform that allows you to connect with friends to play games online. A common issue many users face is getting an error when trying to add friends, with a message like “Error adding friend. Please try again.”
Don’t worry, there are several things you can try to fix this and add friends again. Here are the top solutions:
Table of Contents
Check If The User You Are Trying To Add Is Blocked
If someone has blocked you on Steam, you won’t be able to send them a friend request. To check if this user has blocked you:
- In the Steam client, go to the Friends menu and select View Players.
- In the search bar, type the name of the user you are trying to add.
- If they show up in the results, they haven’t blocked you. If you can’t find them, there’s a good chance you are blocked.
To fix this:
- Have the user unblock you on their end so you can send a friend request.
Block And Unblock The Friend
A simple fix is to block the user you want to add, then unblock them. This often resolves any bugs that prevent friend requests.
To do this:
- Go to the profile of the user you want to add.
- Click More > Block All Communication.
- Then go to your Blocked Users list and unblock that same user.
- Try sending the friend request again.
Check Your Steam Account Type
Some Steam accounts are limited until you make any purchase on Steam or add funds to your Steam Wallet. Limited accounts can’t access all features, including adding friends sometimes.
To check if your account is limited:
- Go to your Steam Profile
- Click More > View Licenses and Product Key Activations
- Check if it says Limited Account at the top.
If you have a limited account, you need to make a purchase of at least $5 on Steam to upgrade it. Once upgraded, you’ll be able to add friends normally.
Use Steam://Flushconfig To Reset Steam
Resetting your Steam configuration files can fix issues with adding friends.
To do this:
- Open the Run dialog box (Windows key + R)
- Type in
steam://flushconfigand press Enter
- Steam will reset and you should now be able to add friends
Restart Your Computer And Steam
Sometimes issues with Steam can be fixed simply by restarting your computer and Steam application.
- Save any work and close all programs
- Restart your computer
- Launch Steam and try adding friends again
Restarting clears any cached data that could be causing problems.
Check Your Internet Connection
It’s possible connection issues are preventing Steam from processing friend requests.
- You are connected to the internet
- Other internet services/sites work fine
- Try disconnecting and reconnecting to WiFi
- Restart router/modem if needed
Once you have a stable internet connection, try adding friends again on Steam.
Contact Steam Support
If none of the above fixes work, there may be an account-specific issue that Steam Support can help resolve.
Some things Steam Support can help with:
- Removing any restrictions on friend requests
- Investigating any bugs related to your account
- Granting exceptions if you have a limited account
Be detailed in your ticket to Steam Support about the error occurring and troubleshooting steps you have tried already.
Prevent Future Issues
To avoid this issue in the future:
- Don’t block Steam friends unless necessary
- Make a small purchase to upgrade a limited account
- Periodically clear Steam’s configuration files
- Keep Steam updated to latest version
- Maintain a stable internet connection
Following these tips will help ensure Steam’s social features work smoothly for staying connected with friends.
Adding friends is an integral part of Steam for taking advantage of multiplayer gaming and social tools. With the solutions above, you should be able to resolve any errors adding Steam friends on your account. Be persistent and try each fix one-by-one until you can successfully send and receive friend requests again.