Splashtop’s remote printing feature allows you to print documents, photos, webpages and more from a remote computer to your local printer. This guide will walk you through everything you need to know to set up and use Splashtop’s remote printing capability.
Table of Contents
- Overview of Splashtop Remote Printing
- Step-by-Step Guide to Setup Remote Printing
- Tips for Successful Remote Printing
- Remote Printing Between Windows and Mac
- Why Use Splashtop for Remote Printing?
- About the Author
Overview of Splashtop Remote Printing
With Splashtop remote access software installed on the remote and local computers, you can:
- Print files, documents, photos, webpages and more from a remote Mac or Windows computer to your local printer.
- Avoid having to email files back and forth or rush back to the office to print something you forgot.
- Save time and improve efficiency by printing directly from the remote computer you’re accessing.
The remote printing feature is available with several Splashtop products including:
- Splashtop Business Access – For individuals and teams
- Splashtop SOS – For attended and unattended remote support
- Splashtop Remote Support – For managed IT services providers
Step-by-Step Guide to Setup Remote Printing
Follow these steps to start printing remotely:
1. Install Splashtop Streamer
First, install the Splashtop Streamer app on all the remote computers you want to access. This app enables remote connectivity.
2. Install Printer Driver
Next, open the Streamer’s settings and click “Install Printer Driver” under the Settings tab. This installs the virtual Splashtop PDF Printer Driver on the remote computer.
You may need to disconnect and reconnect the Streamer after installing the printer driver for it to take effect.
3. Connect Remotely
Now connect to the remote computer through the Splashtop app on your local computer or mobile device.
Once connected, open the file or document you want to print.
4. Select Splashtop Printer
When you click print, select the Splashtop Remote Printer from the list of available printers. Then click print.
5. Choose Local Printer
Within a few seconds, a print dialog box will automatically pop up on your local computer. Select your desired local printer and click print again.
That’s it! The file will now print directly from the remote computer to your local printer.
Tips for Successful Remote Printing
Here are some tips to help ensure smooth remote printing:
- Check printer driver – Make sure the Splashtop printer driver is installed on all remote computers you need to print from.
- Allow pop ups – The print dialog box on the local computer may open in a new pop up window. Make sure your browser allows pop ups from the Splashtop app.
- Use latest software versions – Update your Splashtop apps and remote printer driver to the newest versions for best performance.
- Configure quality settings – Adjust the image and printing quality settings within the Splashtop app if prints are low quality.
- Print small jobs first – When testing out remote printing, start by printing smaller 1-2 page documents rather than large 100+ page reports.
Remote Printing Between Windows and Mac
You can print between Windows and Mac computers using Splashtop but there are a few extra requirements:
Print remote Mac to local Windows:
- Ensure a PDF reader like Adobe Acrobat is installed on the Windows computer.
Print remote Windows to local Mac:
- Make sure you have the Microsoft Print to PDF printer driver installed on the remote Windows computer.
With those drivers installed, the process of selecting printers and printing is the same as covered above.
Why Use Splashtop for Remote Printing?
There are many reasons Splashtop Business Access is the top choice amongst remote access solutions for printing:
Easy to set up – Installing the remote printer driver takes just a click and you can start printing in minutes. No complex configuration required.
Improves productivity – Stop wasting time emailing documents back and forth. Print what you need, when you need it!
Saves money – Reduce costs by printing remotely instead of having to upgrade printers and computer hardware.
Enhances security – Keep sensitive documents secure by printing directly instead of having to email them externally.
Works across networks – Print remotely whether computers are on the same LAN or across the internet.
With seamless remote printing and a wide range of powerful features for remote access and support, it’s no wonder Splashtop is the top choice for remote productivity.
About the Author
John has over 10 years of experience helping businesses and users implement Splashtop remote access solutions. He has expertise on using Splashtop software for secure remote printing, access and support.
With easy setup requiring just a simple printer driver installation, Splashtop makes it fast and convenient to start printing files from remote Mac and Windows computers to your local printers.
- Install Streamer and remote printer driver to enable remote printing
- Select Splashtop printer when printing files from remote session
- Local print dialog lets you choose your desired local printer
- Ensure PDF readers are installed to print between Windows and Mac
Using Splashtop for remote printing improves productivity and enhances security. And with top-notch features focused on remote access, it’s the best choice for business and personal use alike.