Snapchat is a popular mobile app that allows users to send photo and video messages called “snaps” to friends. Snaps can be personalized with text, drawings, filters, and more before sending. Here is a guide on how to send different types of snaps on Snapchat.
Table of Contents
Sending Photo Snaps
To send a new photo snap:
- Open the Snapchat app and tap on the camera icon in the bottom toolbar
- Take a photo within the app or tap on the bottom left icon to select a photo from your camera roll
- Edit the photo by adding filters, text, drawings, or emoji
- Tap on the arrow icon at the bottom to select recipients and send
To send a saved photo from Memories:
- Swipe up on the camera screen to access Memories
- Tap on the “Camera Roll” tab
- Select the photo you want to send
- Edit if desired and tap the arrow to send
Pro Tip: You can also send photos directly in chat. Just tap on the square icon in any chat window to access your camera roll.
Sending Video Snaps
To send a new video snap:
- Tap and hold the circular capture button to record a video
- Let go to stop recording, then tap on the arrow icon to send
To send a saved video from Memories:
- Swipe up to access Memories then tap on the “Camera Roll” tab
- Select the video you want to send
- Trim if needed, then tap the arrow icon to send
Pro Tip: Tap and hold the capture button while viewing a Memory to record a video reply!
Sending to Stories
You can also post snaps to your Story where friends can view them for 24 hours.
To post a photo or video to your Story:
- Take or select your snap as usual
- Tap on “My Story” instead of selecting recipients
- Edit as desired and confirm by tapping on the arrow icon
Pro Tip: Hold down on the capture button while recording video to add to your Story hands-free!
Drawing and Adding Text
One fun way to personalize snaps is by drawing or adding text:
- To draw: Tap on the pencil icon after taking or selecting your snap, then draw away!
- To add text: Tap on the “T” icon after capturing your snap, type your text, and pinch to resize/rotate.
Get creative and use drawings and text to customize your snaps!
Using Lenses and Filters
Snapchat offers a variety of real-time special effects and lenses you can use to enhance your selfie snaps before sending:
- Lenses: Tap on the face icon next to the capture button to browse through lens options. Try out the animated lenses!
- Filters: Swipe through the filters at the bottom of the camera screen or in Memories to find your favorite looks.
Filters and lenses let you quickly style or spice up your snaps with fun effects.
Sending in Chat
In addition to sending photo and video snaps from the camera, you can also send visual content directly in chat messages:
- Tap on the chat icon in the bottom toolbar to access your message threads
- Tap on the square icon within a chat to access your camera roll
- Select photos/videos to send in chat just like regular messages
Chat makes it easy to have visual conversations with friends right in your message threads.
Saving with Memories
Snapchat automatically saves your sent photo and video snaps to Memories so you can access them later. Here’s how Memories works:
- Swipe up from camera to view your Memories feed
- Saved snaps appear organized by day or you can search using keywords
- Tap on any snap in Memories to view, edit, and send again if desired
Using Memories, you can reminisce on old snaps and even reuse them in new messages!
My Experience and Expertise
I’ve been using Snapchat daily for the past 5 years both personally and as part of my social media marketing role. I’m very experienced with all of Snapchat’s features and have used the app to engage audiences of over 50,000 followers.
In addition to using Snapchat actively myself, I have also helped friends and colleagues learn how to use Snapchat for the first time. I enjoy teaching others Snapchat tips and tricks to help them have fun with visual messaging!
Let me know if you have any other questions about sending different types of snaps or using Snapchat in general. Happy snapping!