The Huawei P9 is a popular Android smartphone that comes with some helpful text prediction and correction features enabled by default. However, some users find these automatic features annoying or inconvenient. Fortunately, it is easy to turn them off.
Table of Contents
- Why You May Want to Turn Off Automatic Text Corrections
- Step-by-Step Guide to Disabling Text Corrections and Predictions
- Customizing Other Keyboard Settings
- Re-Enabling Text Corrections Later On
Why You May Want to Turn Off Automatic Text Corrections
The Huawei P9 keyboard includes automatic spelling correction and next-word prediction to help speed up typing and reduce errors. However, this can sometimes change what you intended to type if the corrections or predictions are inaccurate. Reasons you may want to disable these automatic features include:
- They change words you spelled correctly, like names or slang terms, to something else
- They predict the wrong next word in a sentence
- You simply find the pop-up suggestions visually distracting
- You want more precise control over your typing
Turning off text corrections gives you full manual control. You can always go back and manually correct any typos you make after the fact.
Step-by-Step Guide to Disabling Text Corrections and Predictions
It only takes a few taps to disable automatic spelling and predictive text on your Huawei P9. Follow these steps:
1. Open Settings
Tap on the Settings app icon on your home screen or app drawer. This looks like a cog/gear icon.
2. Select System & Updates
Scroll down and tap on System & updates in the Settings menu.
3. Choose Languages & Input
Next, select Languages & input from the System settings options.
4. Tap on Virtual Keyboard
Under “Keyboard & input methods”, tap on Virtual keyboard. This will open keyboard settings.
5. Turn Off Text Correction
Scroll down to the Text correction option and tap on it.
6. Disable Auto-Correction
Slide the toggle next to Auto-correction to the left/off position. The toggle will become gray when disabled.
7. Turn Off Next-Word Suggestions
Go back to the Virtual keyboard settings. Scroll down further and turn Next-word suggestions off too.
That’s it! Automatic spelling corrections and next-word predictions will now be disabled for your Huawei P9 keyboard.
Customizing Other Keyboard Settings
While you’re in your Huawei P9 keyboard settings menu, take a moment to review the other options available:
- Add words to dictionary – Manually store words like names or slang to prevent auto-corrections.
- Keyboard height – Adjust taller or shorter.
- Sound on keypress – Enable/disable typing sounds.
- Vibrate on keypress – Turn on haptic feedback.
Tweaking these settings can further optimize your typing experience.
You can also switch to an entirely different keyboard app, like Google’s Gboard or SwiftKey. Download them for free from the Play Store. Third-party keyboards provide additional customization options.
Re-Enabling Text Corrections Later On
If you change your mind, you can re-enable automatic spelling and predictions at any time:
- Go back into Languages & input > Virtual keyboard in Settings.
- Under Text correction, slide the toggles for Auto-correction and Next-word suggestions back on.
And that’s it! The Huawei P9 keyboard will once again start auto-correcting typos and offering word suggestions.
In summary, the Huawei P9 comes with helpful but sometimes annoying automatic text features. Thankfully, disabling corrections and predictions only takes a few quick taps. Adjust these to suit your preferences. Don’t hesitate to turn them back on later if you want.