Youtube uses your watching activity to learn more about you and the data gathered from it will generate recommendation videos in the future. On top of that, you may be exposed to certain ads across Google products based on your interest.
Crazy as it might sounds, but Youtube lets you reset your watching history from the beginning. That way the platform can’t process the previous data about you. And it may be a good step for a privacy-conscious future. So, here’s how you can delete history on Youtube.
Delete Youtube watched history on PC
1. Visit Youtube and make sure you logged in to your account/channel.
2. On the left panel, click History.
3. Under the ‘History type’, select Watch history, and click Clear All Watch History.
4. To confirm deletion, click Clear Watch History.
5. All watched histories have been wiped out.
Delete Youtube history on the app version
1. Launch Youtube app and tap on Library.
2. Select History.
3. Tap on the kebab menu on the left, then select History controls.
4. Select Clear watch history.
5. To confirm, hit Clear Watch History.
6. Now the Youtube history has been cleared.
Alternative: Pause Youtube history
Instead of the Incognito Mode, Youtube offers an option to pause the history so it won’t store your watching activities unless if you resume them. The video recommendations would be less relevant, but it may still a good trade-off for some people.
On the Youtube desktop, go to History > Pause Watch History > Pause. While on mobile, head to Library > History > History controls > Pause watch history. You can always go back to enable the feature when needed.