Chromebooks are known for their security features, but it’s always a good idea to change your password regularly to keep your device and data safe. In this post, I will guide you through the steps to change your Chromebook password and provide tips on creating a strong and secure password. We will also discuss the built-in security features of Chromebooks and how to make the most of them.
Info: Your Chromebook password is your Google account password. By changing the account’s password, it will also affect the password you used to sign in to Chromebook.
With that said, here are the steps on how to change your Chromebook password.
Table of Contents
How to change your Google/Chromebook password
1. Launch the Chrome browser on your Chromebook.
2. Visit Google My Account. This is the page to manage all sorts of settings related to your Google account.
3. Click Personal info, scroll down a bit, and then go to Password.
4. Sign in to your Google account with the current password.
5. Now, you can enter the new password twice and hit Change password.
The change will be reflected on your Chromebook within a few minutes. I recommend you restart the device afterward for the new setting to be applied.
How to make a strong password
Still don’t know how to make a strong password? Here are some suggestions:
- Avoid using personal information such as your name, birthday, username, or email address.
- Use a longer password with a mix of letters (both uppercase and lowercase), numbers, and symbols.
- Use a passphrase or sentence instead of a single word.
- Don’t reuse the same password for multiple accounts.
- Use a password manager to generate and store strong passwords.
If typing a password takes you too long just to sign in to Chromebook, consider using a PIN method instead. It’s simpler, easier to remember, and faster compared to a long password.
To enable PIN on a Chromebook, go to Settings > Security and Privacy > Lock screen and sign-in > enter the current password > on the PIN section, click Set up and follow the instructions on the screen.
PIN may not be as secure as a traditional password, but it does protect your device from unauthorized access. So, there is no harm in actually using it.
Frequently Asked Questions
Below are some related questions about the article’s topic.
How do I remove the lock screen password on my Chromebook?
Unfortunately, you cannot remove the lock screen password entirely on a Chromebook. However, you can switch to a PIN instead of your password. Go to Chromebook Settings > Security and privacy > Lock screen and sign-in. Enter your password, click Set up and then follow the instructions to enable a PIN login.
How do I change my school computer password?
To change your school computer password, you need to follow the instructions provided by your school’s IT department. Typically, you will need to log in to your school account and go to the account settings to change your password. If you are having trouble changing your password, you can contact your school’s IT support for assistance.
How do I reset my Chromebook password?
If you forget your Chromebook password, you can reset it by resetting your Google account password. Here’s how to reset your Google account password: To reset your Chromebook password, visit https://accounts.google.com/signin/recovery and enter your email address or phone number. Follow the steps to verify your identity, then proceed to enter a new password and confirm it. Once this is done, you can sign in to your Chromebook using your newly updated password.