The Sims 4 includes a debug or cheat mode that allows players to access hidden items and gameplay features for testing and creative purposes. However, leaving this mode enabled permanently can clutter your game and cause performance issues. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to properly disable debug cheats in The Sims 4.
Table of Contents
What is Debug Mode in The Sims 4
Debug mode in The Sims 4 grants access to the following:
- Hidden build/buy mode items not normally available for purchase
- Extra gameplay interactions when shift-clicking on Sims and objects
- Commands to manipulate Sims, skills, relationships, motives, etc.
To activate this mode, players must first enable testing cheats by opening the cheat console (Ctrl + Shift + C on PC/Mac, all shoulder buttons on console) and entering
Why Disable Debug Cheats
While debug items and interactions allow for more creativity, leaving them enabled permanently is not recommended for a few reasons:
- Cluttered build/buy catalogs: Thousands of hidden debug items will clutter your catalogs, making it harder to find normal items.
- Game performance issues: Too many excess items and features running can slow down your game.
- Buggy behavior: Debug commands may have unintended side effects that corrupt your save file.
- Disable trophies/achievements: Using cheats disables unlocking trophies/achievements in that save file.
Ideally, you only want debug mode enabled temporarily when needed. Here’s how to turn it off.
How to Disable Debug Cheats in The Sims 4
Step 1: Open the Cheat Console
Open the cheat console using the keyboard shortcut:
- PC: Ctrl + Shift + C
- Mac: ⌘ + Shift + C
- PS4/XB1: Hold all shoulder buttons
Step 2: Enter Testing Cheats Off
In the text field, type:
And press enter. You’ll get a notification confirming cheats have been disabled.
Step 3: Save and Reload the Game
Completely close out and reload your saved game. This will remove any lingering effects from debug commands and items.
If step 2 doesn’t work, try these other options:
bb.showliveeditobjects falseto hide debug items.
- Start a brand new save file. Debug effects can sometimes persist.
- Repair your game through Origin/Steam to fix potential corruption issues.
- Remove all mods if enabled. Some may override disabling debug mode.
Re-Enabling Debug Cheats Temporarily
To access debug mode again for a short time:
- Open the cheat console
- Access debug interactions and items as desired
- When finished, enter
- Save and reload the game to completely disable effects
Limit your debug usage to prevent long-term issues. And remember to always disable it afterwards!
- Debug cheats in The Sims 4 grant special access but can cause problems if left permanently enabled.
testingcheats falseand reload your save to fully turn off debug mode.
- Only re-enable debug temporarily as needed, disabling it afterwards.
- Limiting usage prevents game performance issues, save file corruption, etc.
Following these best practices allows you to safely utilize debug mode for creative purposes without compromising your main game saves! Let me know if you have any other questions.