Zoom is a popular video conferencing platform used by millions for online meetings, webinars, and remote collaboration. With the rise of remote work over the past few years, many professionals spend hours on Zoom calls each day.
Prolonged exposure to bright screens can cause eye strain and headaches. To address this, Zoom has introduced a Dark Mode theme option that switches the background from white to black and fonts from black to white.
Enabling Dark Mode on Zoom can help:
- Reduce eye strain when using the app for extended periods
- Improve visibility when using Zoom in low-light environments
- Conserve battery life on mobile devices with OLED displays
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to activate Dark Mode on Zoom across various platforms:
Table of Contents
To use the Dark Mode theme on Zoom, you need to have:
- Windows: Zoom Desktop version 5.10.0 or higher
- macOS: Zoom Desktop version 4.6.0 or higher
- Android: Zoom Mobile App version 5.2.0 or higher
- iOS: Zoom Mobile App version 5.2.0 or higher
Check that you have the latest Zoom app version installed before proceeding.
Enable Dark Mode on Zoom Desktop App
Follow these steps to switch to Dark Mode on the Zoom Desktop app:
- Launch the Zoom Desktop app on your Windows or Mac machine
- Click on your profile icon in the top right and select Settings
- On the General tab, go to the Theme section
- Click on the Dark theme option
The app layout will now switch to Dark Mode.
Activate Dark Mode on Zoom Mobile App
To enable Dark Mode on Zoom’s iOS or Android app:
- Open Settings on your mobile device
- Go to Display > Dark Mode and turn it on
- Launch the Zoom mobile app
The Zoom app should now reflect your system-wide Dark Mode settings.
Alternatively, you can force Dark Mode within the Zoom app:
- Open the Zoom app
- Tap on your profile icon
- Select Settings > Meetings
- Toggle Dark Mode on
Here are some troubleshooting tips if you face issues enabling Dark Mode on Zoom:
- Check you are on the latest Zoom app version
- Force close and restart the Zoom app
- On mobile, check OS Dark Mode is enabled if app Dark Mode doesn’t work
- Update your device/OS to the latest version
Benefits of Using Dark Mode on Zoom
Some key benefits of switching to Dark Mode during Zoom calls:
- Reduces eye strain: Staring at bright screens for hours can cause headaches and fatigue. Dark Mode flips black and white to invert this effect.
- Lower power consumption: Dark Mode uses less power, resulting in improved battery life on laptops and mobile devices.
- Enhanced visibility: Dark Mode makes it easier to view content on screens in low ambient light conditions.
- Minimizes distractions: The darker interface helps you remain focused on calls by reducing distractions.
- Looks sleek: Many users simply prefer the aesthetics of a dark theme over conventional light mode.
So if you frequently use Zoom for meetings and webinars, be sure to take advantage of Dark Mode for a more comfortable and visually-appealing experience.
Customizing Zoom’s Dark Mode Appearance
Along with switching the theme from light to dark mode, Zoom also allows customizing the exact appearance of dark mode:
On the Zoom Desktop app’s settings, you can pick from various dark mode themes:
- Dark – Default dark mode with gray background
- Black – Pure black background without any gray shades
Zoom mobile app’s dark mode appearance depends on the theme settings of your Android or iOS device.
You can customize the system-wide theme under Display Settings:
- Dark – Dark gray interface
- Black – Pitch black interface and fonts
This will automatically reflect within the Zoom mobile app when Dark Mode is enabled.
Zoom’s Dark Mode option provides an eye-friendly viewing experience for users spending long hours in meetings and webinars.
It delivers a host of benefits from reducing eye strain to improving battery life on mobile devices.
With easy-to-follow steps, you can start using Dark Mode on Zoom’s desktop or mobile apps across Windows, macOS, Android and iOS platforms.
Be sure to keep your Zoom app updated to take advantage of the latest features like customizable dark themes. Using Dark Mode can make your entire Zoom experience much more comfortable and visually-appealing.