Facebook’s dark mode is a popular feature that switches the bright, white interface to a darker color scheme. Enabling dark mode can make Facebook easier on your eyes, especially at night, and may help save battery life on your devices. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to turn on dark mode for Facebook on desktop, iOS, and Android.
Table of Contents
Benefits of Using Dark Mode on Facebook
Here are some of the benefits of using Facebook’s dark mode:
- Easier on your eyes: The dark color scheme has less brightness and glare, putting less strain on your eyes. This can be especially helpful when browsing at night.
- Save battery life: Dark interfaces use less power on devices with OLED displays like smartphones. The dark background illuminates fewer pixels, saving battery.
- Looks sleek: Many people simply prefer the aesthetics of a dark interface over a bright white one. The dark theme looks clean and modern.
- Reduce distractions: Some studies suggest that darker interfaces are less visually distracting, allowing users to focus more on content.
How to Enable Dark Mode on Facebook Desktop
Enabling dark mode on the Facebook website is simple:
- Go to Facebook.com and log into your account.
- Click on the down arrow in the top right corner of the page.
- Select Display Preferences from the drop-down menu.
- Under the Dark Mode section, click the toggle switch to the “On” position.
Facebook’s desktop site will now show in dark mode. You can also choose the “Automatic” setting to have it match your computer’s general dark/light mode preference.
Activating Dark Mode on iPhone and Android
The Facebook mobile app also offers a dark mode. Here’s how to turn it on:
- Open the Facebook app on your iPhone.
- Tap the menu icon (three horizontal lines) in the bottom right.
- Scroll down and select Settings & Privacy > Settings.
- Tap Dark Mode under Preferences.
- Choose “On” or “Automatic” to enable dark mode.
- Open the Facebook app and tap the three-line hamburger menu.
- Select Settings & Privacy.
- Choose Settings.
- Scroll down and tap Dark Mode under Preferences.
- Toggle dark mode to “On” or “Automatic.”
And that’s it! The Facebook app will now display in a dark theme on your iPhone or Android device.
Customizing Your Dark Mode Experience
Once you have dark mode enabled, you can customize your appearance:
- Adjust brightness: Go to Settings & Privacy > Dark Mode Settings on mobile to tweak the brightness.
- Use different themes: Try “Lights Out” for an ultra-dark experience or “Shades of Gray” for a softer dark look.
- Set schedules: Have dark mode turn on and off automatically at set times. Helpful for bedtime browsing.
Take some time to play around with Facebook’s dark mode settings to find an appearance you like.
If you are having issues enabling dark mode, here are some things to try:
- Update to the latest version of the Facebook app on your device.
- Toggle your device’s system-wide dark mode settings off and back on.
- Log out of Facebook and log back in to refresh the app.
- Force close and reopen the Facebook app on your phone or tablet.
- Clear the app cache and data before reopening Facebook.
- Contact Facebook support if issues persist for further troubleshooting.
Hopefully with a few simple taps in the app settings though you’ll have Facebook’s dark mode up and running.
Why I Love Using Dark Mode for Facebook
I personally love having Facebook’s dark mode enabled. As someone who browses at night lying in bed, I find the darker interface much more comfortable on my eyes. I also prefer the way it looks over the standard white theme.
My phone’s battery seems to last a bit longer as well with various dark mode apps enabled, including Facebook, so I consider that a nice perk. I have dark mode set to turn on automatically at 9 pm every night.
When I wake up and pick up my phone, Facebook is there waiting in dark mode, protecting my eyes from glare first thing in the morning. So I highly recommend activating Facebook’s dark theme if you haven’t already!
Final Thoughts on Dark Mode
Facebook’s dark mode is easy to enable and offers some nice benefits, especially for nighttime mobile use. Give it a try if you want an interface that’s sleeker, easier on the eyes, and saves battery power.
Just dive into your Facebook or Facebook app settings to turn it on in seconds. And customize the experience to your liking by playing with themes and schedules. Once you go dark, you may never want to go back to Facebook’s standard white look again!