The Alexa app allows you to access Amazon’s voice assistant Alexa on your Windows PC. It provides hands-free access to music, news, weather, reminders, skills, and more.
Table of Contents
Why Update the Alexa App?
There are a few key reasons you may want to manually update the Alexa app on your Windows PC:
- New features: Amazon regularly releases updates to Alexa, often adding new capabilities and skills. Updating ensures you have access to the latest features.
- Bug fixes: App updates frequently include fixes for bugs and performance issues. Updating can resolve any problems you may be experiencing.
- Security: Updates sometimes address security vulnerabilities. Keeping the app up-to-date ensures you have the latest protections.
Overall, updating keeps the app running smoothly and allows you to take advantage of improvements.
How to Check Your Current Alexa App Version
Before updating, you’ll want to check what version of the Alexa app you currently have installed. Here’s how:
- Open the Alexa app on your Windows PC.
- Click on the settings (gear) icon in the bottom left.
- Select “About Alexa” from the sidebar.
- Look for the “App version” listing to see your current installed version number.
Make a note of this number so you can verify the app updates after the update process.
Manually Update the Alexa App
There are just a few simple steps to manually update the Alexa app on your Windows PC:
- Open Microsoft Store – Click the Start button and launch the Microsoft Store app.
- Search for Alexa – In the top right search bar, type in “Alexa” and press Enter.
- Select Alexa App – In the results, click on the Alexa app listing.
- Click Update – If an update is available, you will see an Update button. Click it to download and install the latest version.
- Check New Version Number – Once updated, open the Alexa app, go to About Alexa, and verify the new version number is higher than what you had before.
The update process is quick, usually only taking a few minutes. Follow any additional prompts if the app needs you to restart the computer or provide permissions.
Tips for Updating Alexa in the Future
Here are some tips to help keep Alexa automatically updated going forward:
- Ensure apps are set to update automatically in Microsoft Store settings. This will download updates in the background.
- If automatic updates are disabled, periodically check Microsoft Store for Alexa app updates.
- Restart your PC regularly to allow pending updates to install.
- If Alexa stops working, updating the app is one of the first troubleshooting steps to try.
Keeping the Alexa Windows app updated takes just a few minutes but allows you to leverage the latest AI capabilities. Be sure to periodically check for and install updates. Let the voice assistant continue to get even smarter over time on your PC.
My Experience Using Alexa on Windows
As a tech writer, I’ve used Alexa daily on my Windows 10 laptop for over a year. I take advantage of the voice assistant to set reminders, timers, play music hands-free while I write, catch up on news headlines, control my smart home devices, and more.
The ability to speak commands rather than having to stop and type makes Alexa extremely convenient. I often update the app manually when I notice new capabilities get announced. The update process through the Microsoft Store takes less than 5 minutes.
Recently after updating, I’ve enjoyed using Alexa’s new reading Kindle books aloud feature and custom voice commands to automate multi-step routines. The updates continuously expand what’s possible.
I highly recommend installing the Alexa app on Windows if you haven’t already. And be diligent about manually updating every couple months to get the most out of this AI assistant!
Let me know if you have any other questions!