As an electronics technician with over 10 years of experience, I often help clients set up and troubleshoot issues with their AT&T Uverse TV equipment. One of the most common requests I receive is how to quickly and easily program Uverse remotes to control not just the Uverse set-top box, but also TVs, sound bars, Blu-ray players and other devices.
The good news is that AT&T’s remotes are quite versatile and with a few simple steps you can have full control of your home entertainment system using just one remote. In this article, I’ll walk you through the process of programming common devices step-by-step.
Table of Contents
Step 1: Get Your Devices and Remote Ready
Before we begin programming, let’s make sure we have everything we need:
- AT&T Uverse remote – This is likely the one that came with your Uverse set-top box. It’s a black rectangular remote with a large circular directional pad at the top.
- Devices to control – Make sure the TV, sound system, streaming device, etc. you want to program the remote for are powered on and ready.
- Fresh batteries – Pop some fresh batteries into the back of your Uverse remote to make sure low battery issues don’t interfere with programming.
Step 2: Access the Auto-Programming Mode
To put your Uverse TV remote into programming mode:
- Press and hold the OK/Select button.
- While holding OK/Select, press and release the Menu button.
- Let go of both buttons and the mode light at the top of the remote will begin flashing green. This means you are now in auto-program mode.
Step 3: Select The Device Type
Now that you are in programming mode, you need to select the type of device you want to control:
- Press and release the Rewind button for TV devices.
- Press Fast Forward for Audio devices like sound bars.
- Press Play to program streaming devices like Apple TV or Roku.
The mode light will flash when you press the appropriate button.
Step 4: Find The Programming Code
Uverse remotes come pre-loaded with a vast database of infrared programming codes for most major brands of TVs, audio components, and streaming devices.
To find the code:
- Use the number buttons to enter the 4-digit manufacturer code for your device brand. There will be a list of codes in your Uverse receiver’s menu or online.
- Press Channel Up after entering the 4-digit code.
- The mode light will flash twice when accepted.
Some common device brand codes are:
- Sony TVs – 0467
- Samsung TVs – 0517
- LG TVs – 0178
- Vizio TVs – 0476
Keep trying codes until your device turns off when pressing power.
Step 5: Try Basic Remote Functions
Give your remote a test drive after programming:
- Press power – Your device should turn off/on
- Press volume or mute – This should adjust volume
- Try changing channels or inputs
- Use D-pad to navigate menus
If basic functions work, programming was successful!
Step 6: Repeat The Process For Other Devices
To program additional components like your Blu-ray player or sound bar, repeat steps 2-5 selecting the appropriate device type and entering programming codes.
The AT&T Uverse remote can hold codes for up to 4 devices at once.
Tips For Programming Your Uverse Remote
To save time, keep these tips in mind:
- Find code lists online – AT&T and device manufacturers provide updated lists of device codes. No need to enter codes randomly.
- Test after each device – Make sure you have basic functions after programming each component before moving to the next one.
- Cover other devices – When programming additional components, cover their sensors or power them off temporarily so signals don’t get crossed.
- Be patient – Some codes may take a few tries before full functionality. Stick with it!
- Reset if needed – If your remote stops controlling devices, reset to factory settings by holding OK/Select+Menu for 5 seconds.
And that’s it! With just a few steps you can easily program your AT&T Uverse remote to control your entire entertainment system. No need for multiple remotes cluttering up your living room anymore.