Accidentally deleting an important app or losing crucial data on your iPad can be frustrating. However, there are several methods you can use to try and recover deleted apps and data on your iPad. This article outlines the top techniques to restore lost iPad apps and app data.
Table of Contents
Check Recently Deleted Apps
If you recently deleted an app from your iPad, it may still be available in the Recently Deleted section of the App Store. Here’s how to access it:
- Open the App Store on your iPad
- Tap on your Apple ID profile picture
- Scroll down and tap “Purchased”
- You will see a list of recently deleted apps under “Recently Deleted”
- Tap the download icon next to any app to reinstall it
This allows you to recover apps deleted within the last 30 days. However, the app data will not be restored using this method.
Restore from iCloud Backup
If you have an iCloud backup of your iPad that contains the deleted app data, you can restore it from the backup:
- Go to Settings > [Your Name] > iCloud > Manage Storage > Backups
- Tap on the desired backup that contains the app data
- Tap “Restore” and confirm to download the backup to your iPad
This will overwrite your current iPad data and restore everything from the iCloud backup, including app data for downloaded apps.
Use iTunes or Finder to Restore Backup
If you backup your iPad to your computer using iTunes (Windows) or Finder (Mac), you can restore the backup from there as well:
- Connect your iPad to your computer
- Open iTunes / Finder
- Select your iPad
- Go to Summary (iTunes) or General (Finder)
- Click “Restore Backup” and choose the relevant backup
- Click “Restore” to confirm
This will again overwrite all iPad data and restore the backup. Ensure the backup contains the deleted app data before restoring.
Use Third-Party Software
Specialized third-party iOS data recovery software provide the best chance to retrieve deleted documents, app data, messages, photos, and other lost files from your iPad.
Some top options include:
- iMyFone D-Back – Scans iPad storage and extracts lost data. Easy to use and reliable.
- FoneDog Toolkit – Powerful data recovery with high success rates. Free trial available.
- Tenorshare UltData – Recovers 30+ data types. Has various scan modes. Good for advanced users.
- iSkysoft Toolbox – Wizard-guided process for beginners. Free version allows preview of recoverable data.
These tools are available for both Windows and Mac computers. Most offer a free trial so you can test them out before purchasing.
Tips to Avoid Data Loss
Here are some tips to help avoid losing important iPad data in the future:
- Enable iCloud Backup – Regularly back up your iPad to iCloud to safeguard your data.
- Sync With iTunes – Syncing with iTunes provides a secondary backup on your computer.
- Export App Data – For unsupported apps, manually export app data/documents to cloud storage occasionally.
- Review Before Deleting – Carefully check all data before deleting anything permanently from your iPad.
Losing data on your iPad due to accidental deletion of apps can be frustrating. Thankfully, there are various ways to attempt recovery of deleted iPhone and iPad apps. First try finding deleted apps under Recently Deleted. Or restore an iCloud or iTunes backup containing the app data. Third party software provide the most flexibility in data recovery. Avoid future data loss by regularly backing up your device and manually exporting important app data.