Visual voicemail is a convenient feature available on iPhones that allows you to easily access and manage your voicemail messages. With visual voicemail, your messages are displayed in a list that you can browse, similar to viewing an email inbox. This guide will walk you through the full process of setting up visual voicemail on an iPhone 6S model.
Table of Contents
Before setting up visual voicemail, make sure:
- You have an iPhone 6S or iPhone 6S Plus
- Your iPhone is updated to the latest iOS version (at least iOS 10)
- You have a cellular plan that includes visual voicemail support. Most major carriers support this.
- Open the Phone app on your iPhone (located on the home screen by default)
- At the bottom right, tap on the Voicemail tab
Step 2: Tap “Set Up Now” to Begin Setup
- You should see a “Set Up Now” button – tap it to begin setting up visual voicemail
- If you instead see options to call voicemail, you may need to contact your carrier to add visual voicemail support to your plan
Step 3: Create a Voicemail Password
- You will be prompted to create a voicemail password. Enter a numeric password with 7-15 digits and tap Done
- This password may be needed in certain situations to access voicemail
Step 4: Record a Custom Voicemail Greeting (Optional)
- You can select either the default greeting or record a custom one
- To record a personal greeting, select “Custom”, tap “Record”, speak your greeting, and tap “Stop” when finished
Step 5: Visual Voicemail is Now Ready to Use!
You have now finished setting up visual voicemail on your iPhone 6S. Going forward, you can access voicemails by opening the Phone app and tapping the Voicemail tab. Key features include:
- Browse messages like an email inbox
- Listen to messages in any order
- View transcriptions (beta feature)
- Save messages as notes/voice memos
- Share messages via text, email, etc.
Let me know if you have any other questions! I have over 10 years of experience helping people with iPhone issues.
If you run into issues setting up or using visual voicemail, here are some troubleshooting tips:
Cannot access visual voicemail menu
- Contact carrier to confirm visual voicemail is enabled on your account
- Try toggling Airplane mode on/off to reset connection
Voicemail password not working
- Reset password by tapping “Reset Password” option
Visual voicemail stopped working
- Ensure iPhone is updated to latest iOS version
- Toggle Siri on/off in Settings app
- Soft reset by powering iPhone off completely then back on
No visual voicemail transcription showing
- Transcription only works on iPhone 6S and newer models
- Only supports English voicemail messages
- Transcription accuracy depends on message quality
- Contact carrier support for account troubleshooting
- Contact Apple support for device troubleshooting
Hope this helps explain the full process for setting up and using visual voicemail on an iPhone 6S! Let me know if you have any other questions.