Upgrading your Vizio soundbar firmware is important to keep your system running optimally and take advantage of new features. As an owner of Vizio products for over 5 years, I want to share some best practices on how to safely update your firmware.
Table of Contents
Why Firmware Updates Matter
Firmware is the software that runs on the internal components of your soundbar. Vizio periodically releases firmware updates that include:
- Bug fixes – Fixes issues with sound quality, connectivity, etc.
- New features – Adds new functionality to your soundbar.
- Performance improvements – Improves processing speed and overall system stability.
Keeping your firmware up-to-date ensures you have the latest fixes, features and optimizations. Additionally, some content like Dolby Atmos may require a certain firmware version to work properly.
Checking Your Current Firmware Version
Before updating, you should check what firmware version is currently running on your soundbar.
To do this:
- Press and hold the Volume Up and Volume Down buttons on your soundbar for 5 seconds.
- Your soundbar will verbally announce the firmware version. Make a note of this.
Alternatively, you can check the firmware version through the Vizio SmartCast app on your phone under the System menu.
Downloading the Latest Firmware
Firmware updates for Vizio products are available for download on their official support site.
To find and download the firmware:
- Go to vizio.com/support and search for your specific soundbar model.
- Navigate to the Downloads section and look for the latest firmware update.
- Download the
.zipfile to your computer.
Make sure your downloaded firmware file matches the model of your soundbar. Installing the wrong firmware can cause serious issues.
Installing the Soundbar Firmware Update
With the firmware downloaded, you’re ready to update your soundbar:
- Extract the contents of the
.zipfile to a blank USB thumb drive formatted as FAT32. The USB should only contain the update files.
- Turn off your soundbar and TV. Unplug the power cable from your soundbar.
- Insert the prepared USB drive into the USB port on your soundbar.
- Plug the power cable back into your soundbar and turn it on.
- The update process should start automatically within 30 seconds indicated by sequential flashing LEDs. Do not interrupt the update until it completes and your soundbar restarts. This may take 10-15 minutes.
Once your soundbar restarts, remove the USB drive. Check the new firmware version by holding the Volume Up and Down buttons for 5 seconds. Enjoy your updated soundbar!
If your firmware update is not working:
- Double check you downloaded the correct update file for your soundbar model.
- Verify your USB drive is formatted as FAT32 and contains only the extracted firmware update files.
- Retry the steps above. If issues persist, you may need to factory reset your soundbar through the SmartCast app and attempt updating again.
For additional support, contact Vizio customer service with your model information and firmware details.
Benefits of Updating Vizio Firmware
Updating to the latest Vizio firmware provides many benefits:
- Audio Improvements – Updates often fine-tune audio performance and processing for clearer sounds.
- Fixes Connectivity Issues – Resolve problems with HDMI-CEC, casting or Bluetooth that impact usability.
- New Apps and Services – Get access to latest streaming apps like Apple AirPlay 2.
- Enhanced Compatibility – Ensure compatibility with newest TVs, sound formats and voice assistants.
- Improved Stability – Firmware updates patch bugs that can cause crashing or strange behavior.
- New Features – Unlock handy new capabilities like EQ customization, voice control and multi-room streaming.
I always make a point to install the newest updates on my Vizio hardware. It keeps my home theater feeling fresh and reliable. Following this good firmware hygiene guarantees you get the most from your Vizio investment.