Adding text to videos can make them more engaging and attractive to watch. Text overlays can be added to videos using video editor software like Wondershare Filmora. This software is powerful yet easy to use. It has tons of text templates that you can add to your own video in seconds.
In this article, I will show you how to add text to a video using Filmora, specifically the desktop version of the program as it offers much wider customization which will result in a better video.
In the following guide, I based the tutorial on Filmora 12 but the interface should be similar to older and possibly future versions of the program. Let’s get started!
Table of Contents
How to add text in Filmora
In this section of the guide, we will be using a text template from Filmora. The program has an endless list of templates you can try to make your video more attractive. Whether it’s a title card, subtitle, credit, or lower third, the program has something to offer.
1. Launch Filmora on your computer, and navigate to File > Import Media > Import Media Files. Alternatively, you can drag and drop the media file right into the program.
2. Now, drag and drop the media file to the video timeline below.
3. Go to the Titles menu. Here, you can explore many text templates that Filmora offers.
4. Once you have found the text you want to insert, drag it to the timeline overlapping with the existing clip. The text should be on top of the clip.
5. To edit the text, double-click on the text item.
6. Select the text and then you can change it.
7. Additionally, Filmora offers a wide range of menus to modify the look of the text. Feel free to explore these options.
8. If everything looks alright, click OK to confirm.
9. Now, play the preview video player to see the result.
10. Once you are finished with your video, click Export.
11. Check the output settings and finally, click Export.
12. Now you have a video with text in it. Take a look at the example I made for this tutorial.
How to add a quick text
The recent versions of Filmora have added a new feature called “Quick Text”. This menu is located at the main toolbar and it also includes an option for a 3D text.
From what I can tell, this text feature is rather simple with the styling task given to the user. This is probably will be most useful for adding a subtitle or giving a quick context of the scene. The Quick Text feature is not the prettiest but you may find it useful in some cases.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you add title text in Filmora?
To add title text in Filmora, go to the Titles tab and find a title you like. Then, drag the title to the timeline. Make sure the text is sitting above the clip to be shown.
How do I add text to an existing video?
To add text to an existing video, you can use video editor software like Filmora. In Filmora, you can easily add text overlay using one of the customizable premade templates. Go to the Titles tab, find a title you like, and drag it to the timeline.
How do you add text to a video on Filmora 12?
To add text to a video on Filmora 12, you can follow the same steps as in Filmora 11, 10, and even Filmora 9. Go to the Titles tab, find a title you like, and drag it to the video timeline.