Steam offers different ways to acquire a video game from the store to your account; buy directly, gift, or using a Steam code.
Steam code is necessary to activate the game and unlock the full features of the game.
If you don’t know to activate your game on Steam, here is the guide!
How to Activate Game on Steam
1. First, log in to the Steam app with your account. At the left bottom corner, click Add a Game.
(If you had not installed the client yet, download the Steam here https://store.steampowered.com/about/)
2. Next, select Activate a Produce on Steam…
3. The activation window will show. Click Next.
4. You may read the Steam Agreement first, once you have done and understand, click I Agree.
NOTE: Some product may collect your data during usage. If you are a privacy-sensitive person, I’d highly recommend you to read the agreement to see what data is collected.
5. Now, input the game code and click Next. One product code only for one account.
When it finished, the Steam will offer you to install the game. You can choose whether to start an installation or later.
Meanwhile, the Steam website cannot be used to activate a game. Its purpose seemingly as a store catalog so people over the internet can find their desired game via a search engine and then landed on the Steam website.