Since February 15, 2018, Google Images tuned its services makes the internet not happy.
Google SearchLiaison on Twitter announced that Google Image will no longer show the “View Image” button next to the picture. As that said, the “Visit” button remains, and the user can still get the image through the proprietary website.
By removing the button, Google could resolve a problem with Getty Images and at the same time, give more benefits for a photographer, graphic designer, and other stock images provider.
However, many found that this change makes the service less convenient.
Luckily, there are many browser extensions that can “bring back” View Image button on Google Images.
Thanks for Australian developer named Joshua B. that gives us a browser add-on to re-implement View Image button that has been removed from Google.
#1 Enable View Image Button on Google Images – Google Chrome
1. Log in to your Google account, go to the Chrome extension called View Image. Click Add to Chrome.
2. Next, click Add Extension to confirm.
The download process should start immediately and start the installation automatically.
What you need is waiting until this process finished. After that, you can see the View Image button on Google Images as it used to be.
#2 Enable View Image Button on Google Images – Mozilla Firefox
Like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox also has the same add-on that actually from the same developer too.
1. Run Mozilla Firefox, go to View Image add-on page and click Add to Firefox.
2. Wait until download process finished, then click Add.
3. Now you can use Google Images services with the new View Image button.
Similar to Chrome, if this add-on did not show the button, just reinstall it from Firefox.
Joshua B. also provides a script on Github for a developer to explore its capability and features.
#3 Enable View Image Button on Google Images – Opera Mini
I actually did not found identic browser extension as Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. However, I’ve found an alternative extension to download an image from Google Images.
1. Open your Opera browser, go to View Image Info (properties) page extension, and click Add to Opera.
2. Right-click on the desired image and select View Image Info (properties).
3. You will see a window like this. Click the link on the Location section to get the desired image.
Google’s View Image button was supposed to help users to get original, full resolution image quickly without visiting the website.
You need to visit the site as well to understand a license and usage of the respective image. License is undoubtedly crucial for the digital asset to ensure that you are not breaking any law.
Consider learning more about image licensing here.
For now, I only found at least three major browsers that have a chance to restore the View Image button. I will update this content if there’s a new extension for other browsers.