The heads-up display (HUD) in CSGO shows important information during gameplay, like your health, armor, ammo count, money, and more. The default color is green, but you can customize it to suit your preferences. Changing the HUD color in CSGO can help certain elements stand out more, allowing you to process information faster.
Table of Contents
Why Change the HUD Color in CSGO
Here are some reasons you may want to change your CSGO HUD color:
- Certain colors are easier for your eyes to process, improving reaction time
- Customizing your game makes it feel more personal
- Match team colors (Terrorists = red, Counter-Terrorists = blue)
- Stand out when streaming or making videos
- Fix colorblindness issues
How to Change HUD Color in CSGO
There are two methods to change the HUD color – using the in-game settings menu or console commands.
Via In-Game Settings
- Open CSGO and go to Settings
- Click on the Game tab
- Scroll down and expand HUD options
- Click on the dropdown menu next to HUD Color
- Select your desired color from the list
This method allows you to preview color options and see the changes real-time before confirming them. However, you’re limited to the 11 default colors available.
Via Console Commands
- Launch CSGO
- Enable console by going to Settings > Game > Enable Developer Console
- Press the tilde (~) key to open console during a game
cl_hud_color #and replace # with a number from 1 to 10
- 1 – White
- 2 – Light Blue
- 3 – Dark Blue
- 4 – Purple
- 5 – Red
- 6 – Orange
- 7 – Yellow
- 8 – Green
- 9 – Aquamarine
- 10 – Pink
- Press ENTER to apply the color change
Console commands allow you to switch HUD colors on the fly in any game mode. However, you need to know the color code numbers beforehand.
Customizing Other HUD Elements
Along with overall color, you can customize other parts of the HUD like the style, scale, transparency, and more.
Some examples include:
cl_hud_healthammo_style– Switch between number/bar style for health/armor
cl_hud_background_alpha– Change transparency of background
cl_hud_bomb_under_radar– Toggle bomb icon under radar
cl_hud_radar_scale– Resize the radar/minimap
See this Steam guide for other HUD customization commands.
Fixing Colorblindness Issues
Around 8% of men and 0.5% of women have some form of color vision deficiency. For mild cases, simply changing the default green HUD to a more visible color is enough. But for stronger protanopia (red blindness) or deuteranopia (green blindness), more customization is required.
- LumaSharpen to sharpen textures
- AdaptiveSharpen to enhance image clarity
- Colorfulness to saturate colors
- Vibrance to boost intensity of weaker hues
You can even find pre-made ReShade presets specifically tailored for different types of color blindness.
Show Off Your Style
Part of the fun in gaming is customizing your experience. Change up your HUD colors every once in awhile to give CSGO a fresh look. Try matching it with your player skins or gloves for a complete theme. Experiment with other HUD settings until you find something that works best with your playstyle and vision. Then save it as a config to load that style anytime.
A custom HUD can also make your streams, videos, and highlights stand out more. Use bright colors that fit your brand or personality. Just be careful not to go overboard if you still want gameplay elements to be easily visible.
With both visual and technical benefits, altering your HUD colors and settings can give you an edge in CSGO.