To create a free-distraction environment, we need to eliminate everything that always disturbs our attention.
In fact, social media on your phone was designed to steal your time as much as possible. The more time you using it, the more data collected that can be converted into money.
If you have the same problem and wanted to disable availability status (offline) on Messenger, you can follow the instructions below. These guides addressed for Android and iPhone users as well as desktop users.
Table of Contents
- 1 #1 Turn Off Online Status in Facebook Messenger App
- 2 #2 Turn Off Online Status Facebook Messenger Desktop
- 3 #3 How to Mute Notification on Messenger App
- 4 #4 How to Mute Notification on Messenger App for a Specific People
- 5 #5 How to Block Notification on Messenger from Android Settings
- 6 #6 Turn Offline Messenger for Specific People
#1 Turn Off Online Status in Facebook Messenger App
1. Launch the Facebook Messenger app on your smartphone. Tap the profile picture icon, located after the Search bar.
2. Scroll down, then select the Availability.
3. Switch the online status into offline.
4. Tap Turn Off to confirm.
#2 Turn Off Online Status Facebook Messenger Desktop
1. Log in to Messenger or by click Messenger icon on the Facebook page and See All in Messenger.
Then, click the gears icon on the upper left corner, select Settings.
2. Turn off online status by switching the green button into grey like this one. And then click Done.
Once the online status is hidden, Facebook and Messenger will not show your profile in the online list. So, people would think that you are not available at this moment and not send any messages to you (hopefully).
Although being offline, your friends on Messenger still able to chat you and notification also appearing as well on your phone. If you consider preventing this problem, you may want to disable any Messenger notification no matter how much people yelling your name by messages.
#3 How to Mute Notification on Messenger App
1. Run the Messenger app on your phone. Tap the rounded profile picture icon located next to the search bar. Then, locate Notifications & Sounds.
2. Now you can turn off any items you want to mute from the notification. You also can disable all options by a single switch at the top menu.
You can also mute notification for a specific person. Here is the guide.
#4 How to Mute Notification on Messenger App for a Specific People
1. Tap and hold a friend you want to mute. Select Mute notifications.
2. Then, choose the how long you want to mute this person from notification and tap OK. You can pick from 15 minutes to mute forever until you turn it back on.
Another way to disable entire notifications is by using the Settings menu on the Android phone. Check out the following guide below.
#5 How to Block Notification on Messenger from Android Settings
1. Go to Android Settings menu. Scroll down and find Notifications.
2. Locate the Messenger app. The apps list usually displayed alphabetically to make it easier to find.
3. Now, choose either Block all or Show silently option. The first option will prevent any incoming notification come to your phone, while another one still displaying notification without any sounds or vibrate.
After following those tutorials, your phone will completely silent from Messenger notification despite someone has sent you a message. Anyway, Facebook is giving one feature so people able to make themselves offline for specific people.
In case you only want to appear offline for specific people and remains online for others, check out this guide.
Please note that turning off chat only available on the Facebook desktop version.
#6 Turn Offline Messenger for Specific People
1. Open chat bar, click the gears icon, and select Turn Off Chat.
2. Select Turn off chat for only some contacts… and choose a friend that you won’t appear online for them. After that, click Okay to confirm.
Meanwhile, Turn off chat for all contacts except… option is the best choice if the number of people you want to show them offline is larger than the online group.
So, that’s it.
The complete guide to turning off online status in Messenger along with step-by-step to block notifications from it. Although it was enough to ensure your phone is entirely silent, consider uninstalling the app if you have significant things to do that won’t tolerate any distraction.
Alright, I hope this post helps you!