Gigabytes provides Aorus Engine as a utility tool to overclock your GPU and unlock its maximum performance. However, this tool seems to be lacking important guides.
But we can take advantage of automatic overclocking, which comes with this software. It makes overclocking easier and gives a much more stable result. This is arguably the easiest approach for someone with no overclocking knowledge, as the system will decide what’s best for it.
In this guide, I will show you how to auto-overclock your Gigabyte GPU. I’m using Gigabyte GTX 1660 Super as a reference.
Table of Contents
Why Auto Overclock Your GPU?
Overclocking is the process of increasing the clock speed of a GPU above the default settings set by the manufacturer. This allows the GPU to operate faster and push more frames per second in games and applications.
Some key benefits of using auto overclocking include:
- Requires no manual tuning or testing
- Much safer for beginners
- Maximizes overclock results
If you’re new to overclocking or want to easily get some extra speed from your Gigabyte GPU, auto overclocking with Aorus Engine is the way to go.
How to Auto Overclock with Aorus Engine
Tip: The auto overclocking is based on the GPU temperature. It is best to have an adequate cooling solution to your case and GPU to ensure the best clock result.
1. Download Aorus Engine and install it on your PC.
2. Run the program. It’s recommended to create different profiles for ‘default’ and ‘overclocked’ condition to make switching between performance mode easier.
3. To get the most of it, set the Power Target and Target Temp to the maximum. Don’t worry, these maximum numbers were set by the manufacturer, so it should be safe and won’t fail your card.
4. Now, click Auto Scan.
5. A new window will appear showing the scanning progress. It’s recommended to not running any GPU-intensive apps during the process.
6. After the Auto Scan completed, click Apply. Don’t forget to save the profile too.
7. Congratulation! Your GPU has been overclocked.
8. To see how much clocks you gain, try using GPU-Z and see the ‘GPU Clock’ and the ‘Boost’ section.
With Auto Scan, I managed to bump my GTX 1660 Super boost clock from 1830 MHz to 1932 MHz — that’s over 100 MHz of free performance!
The performance bump can be wildly different from card to card — even with the exact same model. You could get less or more clock speed depending on the temperature and a little bit of luck.
How to Get the Most From Your Overclock
To maximize performance and stability from your auto overclocked Gigabyte GPU, here are some additional tips:
- Use a custom fan curve – Create a more aggressive fan curve in Aorus Engine to keep temperatures lower and avoid throttling.
- Improve case airflow – Make sure your PC case has adequate airflow across the graphics card’s cooler. Add more case fans if needed.
- Lower CPU overclock – Having both the GPU and CPU overclocked adds more heat and power draw. Reduce your CPU overclock to account for the GPU.
- Use Extreme Power Plan – Switch Windows to the Extreme Performance power plan to prevent downclocking.
- Test with games – Validate stability by gaming for extended periods. If you experience crashes, lower the OC slightly.
- Monitor temps – Keep an eye on GPU core/memory temperatures when gaming or stress testing. Try to keep below 85C.
Getting that free extra performance from your existing GPU is addicting. With Aorus Engine’s auto overclocking feature, it’s easy and safe to push your Gigabyte graphics card to new heights!
Auto overclocking with Gigabyte Aorus Engine provides an easy way to get more gaming performance out of your GPU. It automatically finds optimal clock speeds tailored for your specific graphics card by robustly testing many combinations.
Additional tunings like custom fan curves, sufficient system cooling, and Extreme power plans can maximize overclocking gains. With just a few clicks, auto overclocking can provide “free performance” with minimal risk or effort compared to manual overclocking.
Can you auto-overclock GPU?
Yes, most modern GPUs can be auto overclocked using software like Nvidia GeForce Experience, AMD Radeon Software, or graphics card manufacturer tools like Gigabyte Aorus Engine. Auto overclocking finds optimal settings tailored for your specific GPU by testing stability.
How do I enable GPU overclocking?
Install an overclocking utility like MSI Afterburner. Increase power and temp limits, set a custom fan curve, and use the auto scan feature or manually increase clock speeds in small increments. Test stability and temperatures during stress testing.
Does Gigabyte have a GPU software?
Yes, Gigabyte’s Aorus Engine software can be used to monitor, overclock, and customize Gigabyte/Aorus brand graphics cards. It includes auto-tuning tools and controls for adjusting clock speeds, voltages, RGB lighting, fan curves, and more.
What does Aorus Engine do?
Aorus Engine is a software utility by Gigabyte for their Aorus branded graphics cards. It allows monitoring GPU stats like clocks, temps, and usage. Key features include one-click auto overclocking, manual tuning of clock speeds, adjusting voltage, customizing RGB lighting, controlling fan curves, and setting up OC profiles.
If you want to improve your gaming performance further, consider enabling Ultimate Performance on Windows 10. Ryzen users, on the other hand could get a well-optimized system using Ryzen Balanced Power Plan.