On Windows 10 Creator Update, Microsoft has deployed a Night Light feature which essentially reduces the amount of blue lights spectrum radiated by the monitor.
By enabling Night Light, you may see the screen looks red-ish or yellow-ish but it would help you retain a healthy sleep cycle and reduce eyes fatigue, especially at night.
So, how to activate Night Light on Windows 10?
How to enable Night Light on Windows 10
1. Click the Notifications icon in the bottom corner of Taskbar.
2. If Windows 10 Creator Update has installed, you will see Night Light button on the Notifications center. Click on it to activate the feature.
3. Once it enabled, the screen will slowly get into warm color. At that time, the amount of blue light will be decreased significantly.
Although it may resulting in inaccurate color due to blue depreciation, the Night Light is a better solution for people who are regularly staring at the monitor for a long period of time.
If you doing color-sensitive activities, such as video editing, graphics design, or watching a movie, it best to disable the feature and the screen will revert to its previous color settings.
How to adjust Night Light color temperature
The intensity of the warm color of Night Light can be adjusted as you wish. While warmer colors are “healthier”, keeping blue colors would give you more accurate visual information.
1. To adjust the color temperature, right-click on the Night Light and then Go to Settings.
2. You will see a Windows settings layout, in the Color section, click the Night Light Settings.
3. Drag to the left to reduce the effect and drag to the right to increase the color temperature. The default state is 50.
Night Light will remains active for all apps, including video games you may run. If you want to exclude certain programs from gets filtered, you may want to try f.lux — a similar app like Night Light but with a lot more features.
By default, Night Light will set to be enabled at night. But you can turn off the Schedule settings and keep it running all day.
I personally always keep it on since I found it reduces eye fatigue and helps me fall asleep at the right time.
Other than that, I would also recommend you switch to the BenQ Eye-Care Monitors that comes with a built-in blue light filter and proprietary flicker-free screen — it was my best decision when upgrading my PC, and it could be you too.