Google Drive is a cloud-based storage service that allows you to store, share, and access files from anywhere, on any device. By default, every file and folder in Drive is private and only accessible to you. However, you can make a folder available for the public so they can see what’s inside. This is extremely helpful for sharing information with the masses.
In this article, we’ll explore how to make a Google Drive folder public, which can be useful for sharing files with people who don’t have a Google account. At the end of the tutorial, you will get a public link that you can share with everyone.
Table of Contents
The following guide will teach you a step-by-step process to share a folder with the public. I’m using a desktop version of Google Drive as a reference, but the process is similar to the mobile version.
1. Locate the Google Drive folder you want to share with the public or create a new one.
2. Now, tap the three-dot icon or right-click on the folder, select Share, and then Share again.
3. Under “General access”, click the button that says Restricted.
4. Switch it to Anyone with the link.
5. Don’t forget to assign the role to the public. You can either choose Viewer, Commenter, or Editor.
6. Then, click Copy link to acquire the public URL which you can share later.
7. Hit Done and you are good to go!
8. Notice that any shared folder will have a person icon on it, communicating that others might have access to it.
Anyone with the link should be able to see and download the content of the folder, even if they are not logged in with their Google account.
If you changed your mind and wish to unshare the public folder, you can follow these steps.
1. Tap the three-dot icon or right-click on the public folder, select Share, and then Share again.
2. Under “General access”, click Anyone with the link.
3. Change the setting to Restricted.
4. After the setting has been updated, click Done.
5. The folder has been unshared. Notice that the person icon has been removed, meaning the folder is private.
Now, anyone with the link won’t be able to see what’s inside the folder. Instead, they may need to ask for your permission before they can access it.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I make a Google Drive file public?
To make a Google Drive file public, right-click on the folder you want to share. Then, click Share and Share again. Under General access, change to Anyone with the link. After that, click Copy link, and Done. That link can be shared with anyone and they should be able to see the folder.
Can anyone access my Google Drive folders?
No, all files in Google Drive are set to private by default and only people who have been given access to your Google Drive folders can access them. However, you can choose to make your folders public and accessible to anyone with the link.
How do I publish a folder in Google Drive?
To publish a folder in Google Drive, you can select the folder you want to share, click on the “Share” button, and then click on “Get link.” From there, you can choose to make the folder accessible to anyone with the link. Once you have the link, you can share it with others or embed it on a website.